• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

First Cuts and...

I am satisfied so far with the 21829. I was pleasantly surprised by the noise level, I figured it would be much louder (the cabinets must purr if they call this loud), it is nothing compared to the RAS.

The only real issue I had/have is that the riving knife seems to "lean" to the left at the top. It is even with the blade where it connects but it is around the top it is about 1/8" to the left of the blade. I assume I'll get a shark in the near future so should I just finesse it back to where it should be for the time being? has anyone else seen this?

Aside from that, I had to do a little bit of alignment. The fence was needed to be squared up a bit, and like other have mentioned in other posts, the scale is awkward. I have decided to go the "set 10 = 0" route.

Anyway the LOML is now in bed and sick so I guess I'm done working on it for the night. I can't wait do some work and put it through its paces.

Cheers
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

I'd take the riving knife off and check it with a good straight edge. My guess is that it is bent. If so, I'd ask them to replace it.
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

It is easy enough to bend back to alignment that is what I did.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

Here is my first project. I know its not much but the track is square with the blade and the top level with the table (for now anyway ).

John

Comment

• glencross
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

first cuts and....

what an excellent idea!!!
          Just what I want!! could you let me have the exact dimensions etc to help me make one just like it?

thanks much

Comment

• Hoakie
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Iowa
            • Craftsman 21829

I used 1" x 6" x 22 1/4" poplar for the top and 1/2" particle board underneath, cut to match the notch. I glued and screwed the pieces together and was about 1/16" -1/8" short of matching the saw table top and SMT top. I cut some 2x4 pine shims and glued them on the bottom.

The track was purchased from the woodsmith store (3/4" T-track). I started the channel 1 1/2 " from the left of the insert (arbitrary distance) and attached it using the screws provided with the track

I then bolted the assembly to the saw (holes for miter slots you can purchase).

hope this helps. I have seen others here make similar. so if you poke around you may get other ideas as well
            John

Comment

Working...