• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbridge337
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • GA.

Help--replacing screws holding guide holder

Hi, I started having difficulties lowering the blade and after searching the site realized it was probably time for a good cleaning. I removed 3 of the screws (part #89) holding the guide holder without any difficulties, but the 4th one was a bit over torqued and started to strip (from the factory, first time I have cleaned the saw). I got it out, but I am concerned that if I put it back in I will not be able to remove it again.

My thought is to replace them with socket head cap screw or similar allen head screw. My concern is the factory part only has threads about 3/4 of the way up the screw and I don't know if I will be able to find something similar with an allen head type screw. The solid section seems to be the same profile as the threads.

Has anyone else had to or wanted to replace these screws? If so, what did you end up using. Any thoughts on replacing them with something threaded the whole length?

Thanks,

Jim

PS-amazing how much dust and gunk was inside of the motor area and around the elevating threads etc.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I do not see any reason not to use a full threaded screw. I do not think I'd use a socket head screw though; it might be too easy to over-torque.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...