• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michelevit
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

small stock hold down jig

i am working on a small box and get nervous when working with small
    pieces of wood on the table saw. I am using the SMT and just use my hands to push the small stick against the miter fence and push it through the blade.

I was wondering if anyone has made a stock hold down just that clamps on the smt fence?

i am not sure what the device is called, but where can i get the parts
    i need to make such a device. it looks like it would be a locking lever
    type thingee. It would slide into the slots located on the sliding miter fence.

thanks for your help.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

First of all : STOP THAT! You get only two hands, and you have run up your quota!

next, do you use push-sticks? whether small or big, a nicely constructed push-stick is always a must. Tom has a nice page here

then you could look at the featherboard system or the GRR-Ripper
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Scary, scary, scary!

Featherboards, push sticks, etc! To paraphrase an old add . . . "Never go near the saw with them!"

I use and recommend Benchdog featherboards. They ride in miter slots or t-slots. I also use and recommend the "Gripper" (see previous post).

I have not tried the magnetic featherboards because I am not sure they would work on the aluminum table of the BT3100. (Anyone who knows please comment.)

The Benchdog stuff is widely available from many vendors including HD and Lowes.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• Tom Miller
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If enough of the stock is still on the SMT (as opposed to the main table), then you could use the accessory miter clamp. You could also make your own.

A sled is also a very good way of dealing with small parts, because you can affix just about any type of hold-down on it.

Regards,
        Tom

Comment

• Anna
          • Feb 2006
          • CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Michel,

There is a clamp that comes with the accessory kit, but I'm not sure how well it works because I never really liked it. It's supposed to attach to the slot on the miter fence. You can probably still get the accessory kits at HD or maybe in eBay. In the HD in my town, we still had seven boxes last time I looked.

I don't use the SMT anymore and built a sled instead. With the sled, you can use the eraser end of a pencil to hold down smaller pieces (ala David Marks). The other thing I've done, again with a sled, is just to clamp a block of wood against the fence to hold down the piece I'm trying to cut.

I'm not aware of home-made clamps for the miter fence, but if anyone's built one, he/she will probably say something here.

Good luck.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

With a selection of "T-nuts" and some toggle clamps I can think of a few ways to hold small stock against the SMT fence.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Skeezix
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2006
              • Colorado
              • BT3100 (Sears Equivalent)

Tried the link on your website to the SMT jig at 3:12 p.m. Mt time. Link broken. Rest work fine.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Is there any reason not to use a sled that rides on the rip fence for small pieces?

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

This has been useful for me...

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 11:26 PM.
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Nice jig as always Rod. I was going to suggest a small dedicated crosscut sled just for small parts. Table saws are not designed for small parts at all. Making a larger jig that will securely hold small parts is the safest way to cut small parts on a table saw. If the parts are near the base size of the Gripper, they are too small to adequately control.

I do use the SMFence sometimes, but when the guard is in place and the parts are longer than about 7 or 8 inches. That is still too close.

It appears I will be stealing yet another of Rod's designs.
                    Last edited by Stytooner; 02-11-2007, 08:01 AM.
                    Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis
                      Is there any reason not to use a sled that rides on the rip fence for small pieces?
                      Hi Jack.
                      What type sled are you talking about here? If it's a larger sled that holds smaller parts securely, I don't see a problem with it.
                      Lee

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Actualy, something not all that different from Rod's sled, but it would ride the rip fence.

Rod's photos also helped me solve another problem, I think. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to align the SMT. It's half a degree off and I can't measure well enough with a ruler to fix it (old eyes).

Comment

Working...