X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naubur
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006

My SMT is higher than the rest of the table

I have looked at the manual, and at the SMT itself and cannot see any adjustment, but with my straight edge it obviously higher than the main part of the TS. How can I fix this? It is consistently higher when slid along its path too.

When I cut using the SMT I have to push down hard on the wood to make it parallel to the table around the blade, or push down hard on the SMT to make sure the cut end doesn't droop giving me a slightly angled cut. It is frustrating.

The extension table, and mitre slot are slightly different levels but I can live with that, however the SMT is too far off to deal with for the next few years!

Thanks,

j
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by naubur
    I have looked at the manual, and at the SMT itself and cannot see any adjustment, but with my straight edge it obviously higher than the main part of the TS. How can I fix this?
    This has been discussed several times previously, so you should be able to get lots of good info fast. You might also find info in the FAQ.

Essentially, you can fix it my removing the four plastic pads underneath the SMT where it contacts the front and back rails. If that takes it too low (probably will), then replace them with something thinner.

I think the consensus is that this was by design, so that stock would slide over the main table more easily, but they overdid it.

Do a search, though, because there may be other issues I'm forgetting, like the rails not being attached to the cabinet correctly.....

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

As Tom said this is normal. A slightly higher SMT keeps the SMT fence from dragging on the main table which can cause excessive wear of the main table and Smt fence, plus if you have any slop in the SMT table unprecise cuts.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

A question if I may. Since the SMT is basically part of the table top when say cutting a wide board off the rip fence wouldn't this effect the cut. I thought a TS top was supposed to be perfectly flat.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by lcm1947
          A question if I may. Since the SMT is basically part of the table top when say cutting a wide board off the rip fence wouldn't this effect the cut. I thought a TS top was supposed to be perfectly flat.
          Correct. However...

Having used a BT3000 for about 10 years (now passed on), once I removed the plastic sliders (on about day 2), and replaced them with some stick-on very thin felt, I never had a problem. The felt raised the SMT a poofteenth (technical Oz term ), above the table - never enough to visibly effect a cut.
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

Thanks Rod for the reply and I am extremely glad to hear that. I have the second miter slot table and I can't get it perfectly level with the rest of the table for love nor money. I have worked on it for hour after hour and normally just quit in frustration just to try again another time but never quite getting it perfect. So since I'm an anal kind of guy it bothers me. So this news relieves me a lot. What started it all was my reading up on TS when I got my first one ( this 3100 ) and everybody always saying the first thing you should do is make sure the top is perfectly level even to the point of sanding it down if necessary. So yeah I've been somewhat disappointed not being able to get mine perfectly flat. I'm talking the steel tops here of course but I assumed all TS tops should be the same then. Well I won't let it nag me any more then. Maybe I can build something then Thanks again.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

IMHO a perfectly flat top in a tablesaw is highly overrated! In all the years that I've owned my BT3K the fact that the SMT was higher has never been a problem as far as accuracy of my cuts. It has required trial and error when nibbling away material since the blade height measurement is not accurate. When Ripping your stock will almost never even touch the SMT, unless it is sheet stock and the slight angle that any cuts on cross cuts or sheet stock is so small it would take precision in excess of the inherent precision of wood to measure. If I could remember my HS geometry I'm sure I could figure out how many minutes of angle it would be but it would change depending on the actual demsions of the stock. Furthermore sheet stock will deflect IMHO in excess of the minutes of angle that the cut would be out of square.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I agree with Mark. Having the SMT a smidge higher than the table on my saw has never been a problem for any of my projects. Now the ZCTP sitting below the table is another issue.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• lcm1947
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Austin, Texas
                  • BT 3100-1

Boy that is good to hear. You wouldn't know the grief I've been through worrying about this stupid problem. Good news indeed. Thanks

Comment

• steve-norrell
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • The Great Land - Alaska
                    • BT3100-1

I had a problem a few months back when trying to make shadow boxes with some of the sides in the range of five to seven inches, all with beveled ends. The problem was with not being able to get the table top, miter channel (Ryobi's two-channel addition) and SMT perfectly level. The small piece would tend to "rock" if I pressed down over the wrong area.

I dealt with the issue by learning to be more consistent in handling the stock.

The real answer, though, is a sled. Gotta save my money to buy one of those Incra deals or get busy and make one.

Regards, Steve

Comment

Working...