• Show
Clear All
  • gettools
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Fort Worth, Texas
    • BT3100

What are your opinions ???

I needs some advice or good logic. I have a vintage rockwell/delta contractors saw in good shape BUT when I crank the saw over for 45 degree cuts the gears slip & jump & wont go all the way over. Would you replace the gears or would you buy a 21829 ??? I like my saw but I like some of the features on the BT clone as well. I am just a novice but I am a very detailed person. So not sure which would benefit me more.
    Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

Before I would spend any money on a new saw, I would check out the inside of the saw, and look for sawdust build-up, any small pieces of wood that might have been jammed in. While you are at it, it would be a good time to lube the gears, and tilting, raising mechanism.

Also check and tighten any fasteners that may have come loose.

Those are my thoughts, I am sure someone else will chime in.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

My answer would depend greatly on what you like about your current saw. I'm guessing that with yourcurrent saw you have more table in front of the blade? Also how much do you like your miter slots? If you change over to a BT# Clone you will lose these.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Is there anything else wrong with the saw? From a financial perspective, how much would it cost to buy new what you have now? More than it would cost to get this one fixed?
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gettools
          Established Member
          • Sep 2006
          • Fort Worth, Texas
          • BT3100

Let me back up a little. When I purchased the saw everything was very tight,I could barely raise & lower the blade & could not tilt the blade at all. I dissasembled the saw completely, cleaned & lubed everything & then reasembled. It works as smooth as a new one now, its just when you get close to the 45 degree tilt you can see the teeth on the gears start to jump. I realy like the saw, the heaviness & the large work surface.
          Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

With your reply in mind I'm thinking that you may be best served in repairing what you have.

With it repaired you stand a much better chance of being able to sell it for a fair price should you choose to replace it in the future.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

opinions........

You might want to check the stop screws at the end of the tilt mechanism,
              they may be clogged with sawdust,dirt or something else. If they are clean
              and nothing blocking the tilt , I would check the bevel gears and make sure that the teeth on the gears are not worn excessively and are aligning to each
              other as they should. Before I would go out and buy a new saw because
              of a minor problem like this, I would think it wise to check further into this
              saw and fix the problem. You could probably buy new gears and shaft,crank
              handle for a few bucks and have the problem fixed in short time.
              My .02 worth added to your cost already.....eezlock

Comment

Working...