• Show
Clear All
  • eddy merckx
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Western WA
    • Shop Fox Cabinet

Another SMT question

Well, I've had my BT3100 for about a year now. As my woodworking has progressed from rough carpentry toward furniture, I've gotten more picky about the accuracy of my saw. One of the things that bugged my was the miter fence slipping out of square easily. I tried gluing sand paper the the bottom, etc. Kept doing it. Eventually, I started clamping the fence down with an F clamp.

I finally put a straight edge across the miter table and discovered a crown in the middle, just at the slot for the fence bolt. I called Ryobi and they sent me a new table, no problem. It just came last week. I put a straight edge across it and guess what? Same crown.

Does anybody know if this is an on-purpose design feature? It would seem to explain why the fence won't stay put. I hate to bug Ryobi again, especially If I'm just being dense.

Thanks, Eddy
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

smt trouble.....

Originally posted by eddy merckx
    Well, I've had my BT3100 for about a year now. As my woodworking has progressed from rough carpentry toward furniture, I've gotten more picky about the accuracy of my saw. One of the things that bugged my was the miter fence slipping out of square easily. I tried gluing sand paper the the bottom, etc. Kept doing it. Eventually, I started clamping the fence down with an F clamp.

I finally put a straight edge across the miter table and discovered a crown in the middle, just at the slot for the fence bolt. I called Ryobi and they sent me a new table, no problem. It just came last week. I put a straight edge across it and guess what? Same crown.

Does anybody know if this is an on-purpose design feature? It would seem to explain why the fence won't stay put. I hate to bug Ryobi again, especially If I'm just being dense.

Thanks, Eddy
    Eddy, that sliding miter table is one thing about this saw that I didn't really
    like shortly after buying the BT saw. I took it off, and starting using regular
    miter slots and the Incra V-27 miter gauge and have never looked back.
    There are some on the forum that swear by it,and won't use anything else
    but it is not for me! eezlock

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

IIRC, the smt is designed to be about 1/16" above the surface of the tablesaw. Is it possible that's what you're seeing?

FWIW - I have never had a problem with my miter fence slipping. A bigger problem for me is the head of the mounting bolt getting kind of jammed into the underside of the smt.

JR
      JR

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

First verify the straightness of your straight edge. If the new one is truely crowned contact Ryobi again. I'm sure they will make it right since the saw has a two year warranty. Once you finally fet a true flat SMT and adjust it properly you may be simply amazed at its usefullness and accuracy as many here have. Eezlock clearly is not one of them; different strokes for different folks.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eddy merckx
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Western WA
          • Shop Fox Cabinet

Thank you guys.

Eezlock--I am seriously considering that. I use a SCMS for bigger boards, so the miter table typically just gets used for small stuff anyway.

JR-- I did know that the SMT sits above the saw table. My problem is that there is a 1/32" or so crown right in the middle of the table. It makes the miter fence only contact the table in the one spot, rather than along it's length. With so little surface contact, it doesn't take much to make the fence slip.

Mark--I did use a really good stainless steel straight edge. There is definitelly a crown. I will contact Ryobi again and see what happens. I would really like to see this thing working well. If not, I think I'll go Eezlock's route.

Thanks again, Eddy

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • The Great Land - Alaska
            • BT3100-1

Its interesting that TWO SMTs, probably from different lots, are bowed.

Makes me wonder if there isn't something amiss with how the plate is mounted on the slider. Is it bowed when NOT attached to the slider?

Just an idea. Good luck. SN

Comment

Working...