• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofna89
    Established Member
    • Dec 2006
    • Portland Maine

Craftsman vs Ryobi

I purchased a Craftsman table saw, then I did more research and found out that the motor on this model burns out quickly(few months). Question is I would like to buy a 3100 but havnt found any in my area new or used(Maine). Do I use the Craftsman for the time being or do I return(bought last night Wed 12-13) the ts and wait for a 3100 and go without a ts?
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

It'd be helpful to know which model you've got. Craftsman has several models of TS, several of them made by Ryobi, and one of them that's pretty much identical to the BT-3100. Some are excellent, some aren't.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

Craftsman vs Ryobi........

If I, were in your situation....I would just keep the saw I had for now and use
      it like any other one. I think the motor is most likely the same one that is used on the Ryobi saws. If it burns up, let Craftsman send you a replacement
      or find one on E-Bay or somewhere else. It is likely going to last a long while
      if not abused anyway. Just keep the owner's manual, paperwork, instruction
      book and use that to find replacement parts when and as needed.There are a
      lot of these motors out there to be had, at the worst case scenario, you might have to take it to an electric motor repair shop for repairs, but it can
      be fixed no matter what. eezlock

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I was just messing around on Amazon and did a search and it found a BT3000, used, for $218 on ebay.

Jim

Comment

• ofna89
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • Portland Maine

The craftsman model# was 24884. The motor was just one of the complaints, fence would move, dc didnt catch much of the dust. I read 22 opinions on the Sears web site for this model and about 15 had blown motors. I ended up returning it and buying a Jet 708315btc. Doesnt have a dc or stand but Im fine with that.

Comment

• fiasco
            Established Member
            • Nov 2006

I have the Craftsman 21829 which is the Ryobi 3100 with a collapsable stand w/ wheels and the router accessory kit included.

I am quite pleased with this table saw.

The 24884 is a direct drive motor and I believe that the 3000/3100 are belt driven correct?
            Attached Files

Comment

• rlah
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2006
              • Indiana
              • Craftsman 21829

I also have Craftsman 21829 (just bought on Black Friday)... also quite pleased with it... It's just a red Ryobi BT3x00... but with apparently some extras. Along with very handy mobile stand and accessory kit, I believe it's accessory table has mitre slots where BT3100 didn't (?). And the table surface has special gray non-slip coating (which I won't wax)... also not sure BT3100 had this. I'm still learning on all this but I don't think I would spend good money on anything else near it's price range. (Wish it had more than 1 year Sears warranty though)

rlah

Comment

• prlundberg
                Established Member
                • May 2006
                • Minnesota
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by fiasco
                The 24884 is a direct drive motor and I believe that the 3000/3100 are belt driven correct?
                Correct. The 24884 is completely different and should not be confused with the BT3100 clone 21829.

I also bought a 24884 last summer and used it on one project. It was such a piece of junk I took it back and ate the 30-some dollar restocking fee that Sears charges on used power tools. I also reviewed it on the Sears site but for some reason they didn't print it

I won't get into the specific issues here, I'll just say I would not recommend the 24884 to anybody and leave it at that. I highly recommend the 21829, it's been a great saw for me so far.
                Phil

Comment

• ofna89
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Portland Maine

I ended up bringing it back the next day and ended up buying a Jet.

Comment

Working...