• Show
Clear All
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

Another SMT question

As if there have not been enough already! My question is this - is there any disadvantage to using the SMT on the right side of the blade as opposed to the left. I would like to leave my rails set so I get the most rip capacity to the right of the blade (30 inches) and so I would leave the SMT off the saw. When I need it, rather than moving the rails, I would just attatch it on the right of the blade in place of the accesory table. Is there any difference in performace by doing this? Will I lose accuracy if I leave the SMT off and only install it when I need it?
  • lcm1947
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Austin, Texas
    • BT 3100-1

I don't even know if that is physically possible but I sure hope so as I'd like to do the same thing if possible.
    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• HarmsWay
      • Nov 2003
      • Victoria, BC
      • BT3000

The mitre angle is only adjustable one way, but other than that it's fine. The rails should be stiff enough with or without the SMT and or accessory tables mounted at either side or not at all.

Bob

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Yes, it's physically possible, but it seems akward to cut that way.
        Everytime I move my SMT, I double check it's squareness with the blade. That's a given, just as when you move the fence, you double check it's squareness when you set it. The SMT Table should stay square with the deck unless you bang it around.
        Personally, I don't rip wood that wide with the BT, because it's hard to handle. I cut it with my circular saw first. Using a straight edge, a good blade, an adjustable deck on the circ saw (to square the edge to the blade), I get a very straight edge. TAke a look at some of the the set ups on various websites or wood magazines for circ saw jigs.
        Anything akward is dangerous. If you find yourself cutting panels that large much more often than using the SMT, definitely come up with something better and more stable before you hurt yourself. (in my amateur opinion. )

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by Sawatzky
          ...is there any disadvantage to using the SMT on the right side of the blade as opposed to the left. Will I lose accuracy if I leave the SMT off and only install it when I need it?
          The SMT is made to go on either side, isn't it? The pivot pin can be moved from one side of the SMT to the other, so the fence setup can be made symmetrical.

I think as long as you're careful not to bang the SMT around, you should be able to pop it on and off. I'd do a quick check to make sure the fence is square to the blade. In addition to being a good practice, it'll tell you if something is grossly wrong.

Due to space considerations, I now keep my SMT off the saw in a storage rack attached to the back of my mobile base. (Yes, my shop is small enough that I cannot tolerate that extra 7" of SMT base sticking out. ) With a SCMS, I don't need it very frequently, but when I do, it's always been ready to go once I pop it on.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• eweu
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2006
            • Silicon Valley, CA

Originally posted by Tom Miller
            Due to space considerations, I now keep my SMT off the saw in a storage rack attached to the back of my mobile base. (Yes, my shop is small enough that I cannot tolerate that extra 7" of SMT base sticking out. ) With a SCMS, I don't need it very frequently, but when I do, it's always been ready to go once I pop it on.
            OK. I gotta ask. How much room does your SCMS take up? I love my Makita 12" slider, but golly it takes up a lot of room. I keep it on a Delta tilt-up base in the corner which means I often don't use it because I don't want to roll it out and set it up. (And the dust!)

Back on topic... Sawatzky, have you thought about adding 1/2 (or shorter) rails to your saw so you can have the best of both worlds?

Comment

• Sawatzky
              Established Member
              • Apr 2005
              • CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

I would love to add half rails, it is just that I don't have the money to buy them right now. New, I think they are like $80.00 unless some has some they would like to sell for cheap!

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Sawatzky
                I would love to add half rails, it is just that I don't have the money to buy them right now. New, I think they are like $80.00 unless some has some they would like to sell for cheap!
                When I needed a 1/2 set of rails, I posted on the classifed forum, asking for someone to split the cost of a full set, which I cut in half for the 2 of us.
                You might try that if you have problems using the smt on the "wrong" side.

I wanted more range on the left, for crosscutting larger, heavier panels using the smt, while giving me more than 24" on the right for "ripping" sheet goods in half if necessary.

Comment

• big tim
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                  • SawStop PCS

I've done many times when I want to cut larger panels and Tom Miller is right; the fence can pivot on either side.

Tim
                  Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...