• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Another Burned Rip Problem

I've been ripping 6-8" 4/4 maple (hard) boards inte 3/4" wide strips. These are to edge plywood. I'm using a fairly new Freud "Guld Line" non-thin kerf rip blade and not feeding the stock either too slow or fast.

What I'm seeing are burn marks on the off cut piece and nothing on the lremaining stock. The off cuts are on the left (free side) of the blade.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the fence need to be adjusted, Is the blade trashed?

This is the first time working with hard maple so I really don't know what to expect. The burn marks are surface marks only and sand out easily, should I get concerned or is it my paranoid nature to feel I'm doing something wrong?

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Hard Maple burns very easily and the symptom you describe may be that the cut offs are squeezing back into the blade and causing the problem. I have had hard maple close up behind the cut on my splitter to the point you could not push it through.
    John Hunter

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

You could also check you splitter adjustment and make sure the blade is clean. If the splitter is a little away from the fence and outside the blade it would produce burning on the off-cut. Even a little caked on dust on the blade will also cause maple to burn. Light burning like you describe can happen even when your setup is good, however, as John indicated. I just ripped some maple for the same purpose and some of my rips did not burn but I think I got a little light burning on at least one. How straight the grain is also makes a difference.

Jim

Comment

• otieo
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2006
        • Layton, Utah
        • Ryobi BT3000

Burned edges

I was experiencing the same problem, though not on hard maple, until I found something in the Shop Notes 120 Tips magazine (special order).

It essentially said to line up the rip fence with the blade using a contractor square, then add 1/32" at the far end. This allows the wood to pass through freely but is not enough to have mis-aligned edges.

I hope this tip helps a lot of BT3K users.
        otieo

AARRGH!!! I cut it off twice but it's still too short!

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Hey guys, many thanks for all the pointers. BTW, my copy of 120+ just came today, maybe it should have came last week

Again, thanks for the help, it's stuff like this that makes this the best forum, bar none.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Rescue U
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2006

Try making an auxillary fence that only extends past the first half of the blade, this will allow the maple to move away from the blade with out the burn marks, which are cause by friction. You may also try a blade lubricant to reduce the friction. Good Luck! I hope this is of help to you and others!
            Last edited by Rescue U; 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Maple burns fairly easily. The Freud LM74 GLR blade has a very shallow side relief to give the edge a burnished look...it's also more prone to burning if the feedrate isn't fast enough and/or if the wood burns easily. You might be better off with a 24T TK ripper.
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jabe
                • Apr 2006
                • Hilo, Hawaii
                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

A sharp clean 24 T ripping blade and that tip on moving the fence 1/32" on the far end helps. Less tooth on the blade creates less friction makes ripping hardwood easier. I use a Tenryu 24 T rapid cut ripping blade and it does the job, the cut edges are pretty smooth.

Comment

Working...