• Show
Clear All
  • linear
    • May 2004
    • DeSoto, KS, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

paint the red line...21st century style

A picture says a thousand words, so...

I hacked apart a cruddy picture hanging level from HF. It was useless anyhow. I duct taped a couple D cells together to power it up, put a switch in line with the batteries, then mounted it all to a plywood scrap which I screwed to the rafters. It is 9 feet overhead, so it can't interfere with the work.

Obviously I don't work with the lights off, but the pics come out a whole lot more impressive that way, so here's some more:

Thanks for looking.
    --Rob

sigpic
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

Pretty neat pictures. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Cool pics, Pat! How well does it work with the lights on?
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

It works okay with lights on. I have the area extremely well-lit. But it's a visible mark.
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

Cool!

Three questions:

1. I assume the saw must be pretty solidly anchored to the floor. Space requirements dictate that I have to have mine on wheels and there would be enough movement to cause missalignment with a ceiling-mounted laser source.

2. Is there any risk of damage to the eyes with reflected laser light, such as off the tips of the blade or the blade guard?

3. Could someone make a kit to attach a similar device to the Shark? Now that would really be something!

Regards.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Pretty cool idea! I've got a cheap laser level that I wouldn't mind sacrificing for this purpose. Unfortunately, my saw is on a mobile base, so your rafter method of mounting wouldn't work for me.
            Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• jwaterdawg
              • Aug 2005
              • Washington, NC USA
              • JET

Nice. Kinda spooky with the lights off and just in time for halloween.
              Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• linear
                • May 2004
                • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                Cool!

Three questions:

1. I assume the saw must be pretty solidly anchored to the floor. Space requirements dictate that I have to have mine on wheels and there would be enough movement to cause missalignment with a ceiling-mounted laser source.

2. Is there any risk of damage to the eyes with reflected laser light, such as off the tips of the blade or the blade guard?

3. Could someone make a kit to attach a similar device to the Shark? Now that would really be something!

Regards.
                1: It's just sitting on the floor, no wheels though. I'd imagine aliging the saw to the beam would be feasible if you have wheels on the saw.

2: I'm sure there's a risk, I figure it's comparable to using a laser level for any other purpose else though. Don't look right into it. Where to focus your attention while sawing is a big safety issue--I guess if there's a safety drawback it is from distracting the saw operator from the work. Personally I rehearse every cut with the saw off. It may also bear stating explicitly that I don't line the cut up with this, it's just a laser version of "paint the red line" so I don't trim my SMT fence.

3: One trick is that the line gets longer as you move away from the surface. I dunno if you can get a worthwhile line from shark-top distances. But it sure opens up a lot of "sharks with frickin laser beams" gag potential.
                --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

I wonder if you used a coupla car batteries could you make the actual cut with the laser...

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Washington, NC USA
                    • JET

Originally posted by linear
                    1:
                    3: One trick is that the line gets longer as you move away from the surface. I dunno if you can get a worthwhile line from shark-top distances. But it sure opens up a lot of "sharks with frickin laser beams" gag potential.
                    What about using a CMS laser attachment and a mirror on the underside of the shark? 'course dust would probably render it useless.
                    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• jziegler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Salem, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                      Cool!

Three questions:

Regards.
                      I used to work for a company that produces equipment for fiber optic telecommunications, so I know plenty about laser safety. There are different classes of lasers, some are far more harmful than others. Looking up the class on a couple of laser levels, nothing is higher than a IIIR, many are in the IIM category. Anything with a I or II in the class is very safe, you'll normally blink before you damage your eye. If you focus some down (when they have a divergent beam) you can have problems. The IIIR can cause damage, but it's not too likely. Much safer than the IR class IIIB that I dealt with in the past.... Note that these classes are in the new system, label may be different, I learned the old system, looked up the new online.

So, there is a risk, but it's not very high, really not worth considering. Insert the usual disclaimers and all that fun stuff...

Jim

Comment

Working...