X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stray_shot
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

What to do? (Sears TS purchase)

I didn't want to hijack the "Sears Tablesaw" thread, so I thought I would start a new one. I am interested in buying a 3100, but since they are pretty much no longer available (I had HD check the district for any) I am looking at the Sears unit. Given that I am limited on garage space, I actually like the Sears version better. However, my dilemma is sort of reflected by the latest post in the other thread :

Originally posted by prlundberg
    Don't pay full price. It goes on sale on just about a monthly basis. Look for Craftsman Club (free to join - ask at the store) promos. I paid about $375 with tax for mine after sale price and Craftsman Club discount. At that price, I think this saw is a good deal. At $450+tax I think there are other options to consider, especially if you don't need a router table or portability.
    Phil
    But what if you don't have time to wait for it to go on sale again? I have a project I need to work on this weekend, and I have to buy a saw by Thursday. I *just* missed the sale at the beginning of September and am dying because of it. According to their website, Sears has a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. So now I am thinking about going ahead and paying full price and hoping Sears runs another sale on it within the next 90 days, allowing me to get a price adjustment after the fact.

My other option is to go alot cheaper and get a BTS20, but after all of the reading I have done here, I would really like to stick with the 3100/clone.

Does anyone want to comment on whther it is a good gamble to hope that the Sears unit will go on sale again in the next couple of months?

TIA,
    Rick
  • mikeg
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Milton, VT
    • BT3100

Since Black Friday and Christmas are both in the next 90 days, I'd say there's a good chance that it'll go on sale again.

I had bought the 10" bandsaw there and it went on sale the following week. Get the price adjustment was just a matter of bringing in the receipt.

mikeg

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I think you're on the right track regarding buying now and adjusting receipts later, and staying away from the BTS20.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• prlundberg
        Established Member
        • May 2006
        • Minnesota
        • Craftsman 21829

Sears does have a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. But if you read the fine print you will find that on table saws they will charge you a 10% fee if you return it after using it unless there is a defect in it. So if you do return it, make sure there is a defect first.

I've used a BTS20 and it really isn't comparable. It's not a bad saw for occasional use but just not in the same class as far as accuracy and flexibility.
        Phil

Comment

• Stray_shot
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2006

Good point. Looking at the website, it says:
          A 15% restocking fee applies on Tires, select Home Appliances, Home Electronics, Home Improvement, Household Goods, Lawn & Garden, and Automotive products not returned in the original box, unused, and containing all original product packaging and accessories.
          I guess a table saw falls under home improvement, but that's not very clear. Home improvement could be alot of stuff. Oh well, I will still try to get them to price adjust.

-Rick

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

It seems to be in the Craftsman club flyer a bit (so at least once a month). Might be worth joining the club for.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stray_shot
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2006

Well, I went ahead and picked it up last night. I signed up for the craftsman club while I was there (dropped the form in the mail this morning). So now I'll just have to keep an eye on the sales papers. I plan on putting it together this evening.

Thanks for the comments.

-Rick

Comment

• donbak
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2005
                • Coldwater, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000

Home Depot Canada has the 3100 available from the online site.
                Cheers
                Don

Comment

• pirinst
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Portland, Or, USA.

Think there is a 30 day sale difference refund if you

take in the receipt in. Means you buy today for whatever the price is and watch the internet/store sales for 30 days. If the unit goes on sale for less
                  than you paid, you just take in the receipt and they will hand over the difference in cash, redo the receipt to show the change and you go home
                  with $ in your pocket. Don't wait for your Craftsman Club fliers to get mailed as they take a while to get you on the mailing list. Check out the stores or
                  ask someone who already gets the fliers what's on sale.

I was in Sears yesterday and the Ryobi clone was on sale for $399 as I recall.

It's been available since last Nov/Dec and haven't seen it for much less than that. They retail it for $450.

I remember when considering it over the Ryobi, they had a sale for table saws and said that one did not qualify for the sale since it was a "portable", not a stationary saw.
                  About that same time the BT3100 went on sale for $199 along with rebate $50. Guess which saw I bought then......

Good luck.
                  Last edited by pirinst; 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Stray_shot
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2006

I did infact go ahead and get the Sears unit. I have already cut a bunch of wood with it and love it. I never thought that orange dot on the table in front of the blade would be that useful, but it is great for setting up crosscuts!

I paid full price for it, but have already been back to get the price adjustment for the $399 sale.

I still have some work to do in fine-tuning the setup and I want to make a few more throat-plate blanks, but I am really enjoying the unit and so glad that I didn't settle for the BTS20.

Comment

Working...