• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Updates to the old saw

After getting the SMT alignment procedure down using a dial indicator and a block of wood (http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/3k.htm), I was still troubled by the fact that the SMT fence didn't clamp securely enough for me. There was still a little bit of movement, especially if you accidentally pushed one side of the fence or the other when feeding a cut.

So I decided to make a miter accessory table. I had some Rockler blue miter track that I had originally intended to use for my router table. However, after doing some research it seemed the consensus was that the miter gauge had limited use on a router table so I never installed it.

My first shot at a miter accessory table for the BT3K used the Rockler track. I purchased an Incra V27 gauge and brought it home to try in my new miter slot table and was horrified how it was loose in spots and binding in others. The width of the track was not consistent at all.

That was okay, because my initial method of attaching my miter track table to the rails suffered, too. I was using the same type of BB plywood bracket I had originally used for my router table. Getting the miter slot parallel to the blade was possible, but time consuming. Very picky. So I knew V2 was in order.

This is my final design (luckily V3 wasn't needed). I liked the new miter slot table design enough that I used the same design to build a new router table, too. This new method uses T-slot bolts and knobs to hold everything in place. Lots of room for adjustment, and plenty tight when I crank things down.

I also found that the Incra gold miter track is infinitely better than the Rockler stuff. I was able to back all the adjustment screws on the Incra miter gauge out and it slides perfectly in the Incra track. No side to side play. No binding. I'm getting consistently perfectly square cuts now.

The Incra runner I purchased for my sled also slides perfectly. Incra really has their crap together.

Back to actual woodworking projects. Daughter #2 needs new bed, and I'm thinking of building a Krenov cabinet. Need some 6/4 stock.
    Attached Files
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's really a slick set up! I've got my Osborne EB-3 gauge mounted in a melamine panel that I installed a miter track in that I use for panels. I use my Incra V27 with fence for most smaller pieces....very simple and accurate gauge.

For your crosscut sled do you use an equally thick piece to catch the cutoffs?

Nice job!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Great looking set up. What is the max width on the cut-off sled?
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Dustmight
        That's really a slick set up! I've got my Osborne EB-3 gauge mounted in a melamine panel that I installed a miter track in that I use for panels. I use my Incra V27 with fence for most smaller pieces....very simple and accurate gauge.

For your crosscut sled do you use an equally thick piece to catch the cutoffs?

Nice job!
        I'll have to look into the Osborne EB-3. Is that a pretty high-end gauge?

I don't have a "catch" piece for my sled. I may add one, but I figured I'd try it this way for a while and see what changes or add-ons I wanna make.

Post some pics of your Osborne EB-3 on a sled! Give me some ideas to rip-off! :-)

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by Pappy
          Great looking set up. What is the max width on the cut-off sled?
          I can cut approx. 18" with no problem. However, I'm already planning a longer miter table that will provide more slot in front and behind the blade. Once I do that I suspect I'll be able to make a sled that will cut nearly 24" w/o difficulty.

Comment

Working...