• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Cross-cut sled

I've made my own miter extension, and I would like to build a cross-cut sled for it. I like the Incra sliders:

If your sliders or guides are longer than the sled itself, should the front be flush with the front of the sled and the "extra" length extend beyond the rear of the sled?

Any rules of thumb for proportions? If the sliders are 18" or 24", should the sled be 15" and 21" deep, for example?

Am I making any sense whatsoever?

Thanks,
    Phil
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

"Extra" slider length should be towards the blade, not you. This lets you start the sled in the slot well before a big piece of plywood gets near the blade. Assuring a positive direction for the slide by the time the wood/sled gets there.

In fact a crosscut sled should have a little more slider on there than sled, easier to see it when you are putting it on there and safer.
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• gary
      • May 2004
      • Versailles, KY, USA.

I'd caution you using these with a BT3100. I've not had very good luck with mine. They chew up the miter slots.
      Gary

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by gary
        I'd caution you using these with a BT3100. I've not had very good luck with mine. They chew up the miter slots.
        That would be because the slides are harder aluminum than the miter slots. UHMW sliders may be a better choice...

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by gary
          Err, crap. I already purchased one. It doesn't seem to hurt the miter slot I'm using. I'm not using the BT3K miter kit. I purchased some Rockler miter channel a year or so ago with the thought of using it for my router table. However, everyone said a sled would be better for the router table, and so I never used it. Instead I made a miter "top" for my BT3K.

I like the Incra slider because it allows me to adjust it for as tight a fit as I like. And it is threaded for screws, which means I can get-by using a thinner top than I otherwise would.

I am making a prototype sled with 1/4" masonite now. If it works out, I plan on building a new one using garolite.

Comment

Working...