• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbibler
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2005
    • Glyndon, MD, USA.

Replacing Motor Cap

I just installed the Hurk-U-Lift and decided it was also a good time to clean my BT3100. While cleaning, I removed the 4 screws on the motor cap, and carefully slid it off the armature assembly (part 11, on page 7 of exploded parts diagram). I cleaned everything and went to put the motor cap back on, and it will not fit. It seems as though the bearing on the end of the armature assembly is bumping into the ends of the brush holder assemblies (part 18) which will not allow the bearing to meet up with the bearing bushing (part 12). It looks as though I should be able to remove both brush holder assemblies, slide the motor cap on, then screw the assemblies back in so the ends ride in the groove right after the bearing on the armature assembly. Am I on the right track? Has anyone had any experience with this? The last thing I want to do is mess up my saw.

What I don't understand is how it slid off so easy in the first place if the end of the brush holder assemblies has to ride in that groove. I must be missing something.
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

If the brush assemblies were still in the cap when you removed it, then the brushes will have been pushed forward by their springs once they were slid back past the armature. To re-fit, you'll need to remove the brushes, refit the cap, then re-fit the brushes, as you suspect, because it's almost impossible to retract both brushes in order to get them back on the armature and slide the cap on at the same time, especially with the motor in situ. Make sure that you don't offer the cap upside down, which would be quite easy to do.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• tbibler
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2005
      • Glyndon, MD, USA.

Thank you Ray! I'm back in business!

Comment

Working...