X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

2 SMT's ?

Anybody out there using 2 SMT's? Does it really make sense or help with anything? I'm considering parting out a BT3000 and don't know if I should keep the extra one.

Thanks,
    Scott
    I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood
  • 91FE
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005

...I guess I'll take that as a no?

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Saw your query the other day, am surprised no one has responded.

I'm not using two SMTs. I have thought about getting a second one ... I once had a vague idea to somehow tie the two together, into something like a crosscut sled ... but I realized that the second SMT would have to come off the saw virtually every time I wanted to use the rip fence (the second SMT would be to the right of the blade).

I also wondered whether a second SMT would be worth having so you could leave the crosscut fence installed "permanently" on one of them, and swap out the tables when you needed the fence. Since this would be only marginally quicker than installing the fence onto the table that's already on the saw, I didn't wonder about this very long.

If one made a large number of crosscuts using a particular type of jig, say for cutting miters for picture frames, it might be worth having a second SMT that was dedicated to that jig.

Perhaps the best reason to hang onto the second one would be for spare parts, in case something breaks on the primary.
      Larry

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

If you have a router in accesory table and can mount SMT next to it - SMT can be usefull for routing. It becomes similar to routing sled except it stays about 5" away from a bit. If you have a wide table kit and accesory table is far from the blade - second SMT is sometimes used for it.
        Alex V

Comment

• paulstenlund
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Puget Island, Wa.

I use my 2nd SMT for my router in the acc table - it is great for my box joint jig and for doing rails for face frames

Paul

Comment

• 91FE
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005

Just the input I was looking for. I've got half rails... and grand plans of building a mobile base. I just need some time to pull it all together. Looks like I'll be hanging on to the 2nd SMT.

Thanks guys!

Comment

• ssmith1627
              • Dec 2005
              • Corryton, TN, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

I just saw the post today -- this week has been insane and I haven't had time for the "fun" stuff like surfing this board !

I have two installed on mine:

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...d=150_5032_IMG

It's certainly useful -- if nothing else, for crosscut sled type setups.

Steve

Comment

• 91FE
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                ...I have two installed on mine:

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...d=150_5032_IMG

It's certainly useful -- if nothing else, for crosscut sled type setups.

Steve
                Thanks Steve...but you've got two MST's (miter slot table), not SMT's (sliding miter table). Acronyms WNT (who needs them).

How about the others... same confusion?

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by 91FE
                  How about the others... same confusion?
                  Nope, just Steve.

Actually, I think Steve's setup is more interesting to me for a couple reasons: 1) I think MSTs are a quicker/easier setup for sleds, and 2) I do a majority of my crosscutting on my SCMS. But I don't even have one MST, so what do I know?!

As far as connecting two SMTs (yes, I'm talking SMTs now) to use in tandem: I'd be concerned that any misalignment could cause one or both to bind, ultimately creating slop in their movement. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

• ssmith1627
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Corryton, TN, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

HA !
                    Yes. I was wrong. Sorry about that. My brain is fried this week and I mistook one acronym for another. Sorry about that !

I agree with Tom (despite his singling me out ! haha). I saw someone mention this once before on here. And that was my concern as well. Seems like you would be guaranteed to get "slop" between the two SMT's which would allow a twisting motion relative to the blade.

There was a pretty good episode of that DIY show -- Tools & Techniques -- that I watched last night (Tivo from some time in the past week). They had a plywood crosscutting "jig" for the table saw that was pretty amazing. Like a huge version of our SMT.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_too...064669,00.html

My biggest concerns there are how realiably accurate is it -- as a major addon like that, does it even come close to being square to the blade. Maybe once it's set up, you can get good results from it. Still very interesting.

Steve

Comment

• Jesse
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2006

I just bought a BT3100. Where did u get the slotted part between the SMT and the table. I have trouble adjusting the SMT any advice. Thanks Jesse

Comment

• Imadunatic
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Barryton, Mi, USA.

Originally posted by Jesse
                        I just bought a BT3100. Where did u get the slotted part between the SMT and the table. I have trouble adjusting the SMT any advice. Thanks Jesse
                        Im going to have to guess that you're referring to the Miter Slot Table?? If so, It was included in an accessory kit that Ryobi sold for the BT3100, I believe you can purchase it seperate at a nearly rediculous cost (55 bux if i recall) Or they might sell them at the roaming Cummins tool sales, If all else fails and you are dying for one, I know they show up in the classified section occasionally. Good luck, and welcome to the club.

Kevin
                        \"Run Varnish, Runnnnnn\"

Comment

• SpkrNuts

I have two SMT;s on my BT3100....they are joined into one platform. Since I was interested in a crosscut sled type of device, it was a good solution for me, since I had the spare parts of an older BT3000 m brother in law gave me for free. As far as the binding part....the trick is to get the first one accurate and square to the blade. if you have all the wiggle out of both table platforms, and leave the slider adjustment screws loose on the second one, if the platforms are joined as one, the second set of rails will self align with the first one by simply moving the whole thing back and forth through it's travel. Simple as that. Now I have a 22 inch platform to do crosscutting with. I used angle stock aluminum and a 3" X 3" oak 30" long for crosscut fence. I will add a Kreg top t-track to it later...along with sticky measuring tape scale and Kreg flipstop.

Comment

• erdoc

Where can I buy a second miter slot table for the BT3100?

Comment

• 91FE
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by erdoc
                              Where can I buy a second miter slot table for the BT3100?
                              they show up pretty regularly in the classified here...and on ebay.

Comment

Working...