Power Switch-BT 3100

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • watosh66
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2004
    • 9
    • FL.

    #1

    Power Switch-BT 3100

    Recently the power switch on my BT-3100 locked in the on position. Someone suggested I contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Today an investigator came to my residence and took pictures of the BT-3100 and examined the switch. When both of us looked at the interior of the switch we noted the contact were burned again, even though I cleaned them recently.
    The investigator said they do not, in the majority of reported incidents, even look at the defective product. It appears to me the must be an ongoing safety issue with the BT-3100.
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 1079
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

    #2
    Is yours the black rocker switch, or yellow/red "power tool" switch?
    Brian

    Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

    Comment

    • LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • 4890
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

      #3
      Let's see, they came to your house, and you can't get these through the borg anymore, and they aren't on Ryobi's website? I'd say they may be discussing a recall. (hopefully just a redesign and rerelease)
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

      Comment

      • watosh66
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2004
        • 9
        • FL.

        #4
        It is the red switch with the yellow safety key.

        Comment

        • Rob3100
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2005
          • 77
          • New Braunfels, TX, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          I'm having the same problem with my switch and can't imagine packing it up to take it to them when it's faster to re-clean / re-file regularly and always expect it to fail....always.

          i'm considering just replacing it all together with one that works and attaching it externally since I'm guessing that a ebay replacement will probably fail as well.

          Comment

          • ke4rdb
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • 83
            • Mooresville, NC
            • Ridgid TS3650

            #6
            re:Switch-BT 3100

            Why not just build your own with a simple 4"x4" metal electical box, a single-pole wall switch and a 2 plug receptacle and a couple of feet of 12/2 wire and do away with the crap plastic switch. This is real simple to build and will not burn.

            James
            Credidi me felem vidisse!

            Comment

            • eezlock
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2006
              • 997
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

              #7
              power switch

              If you cannot get the factory to replace it, you might want to do what I did
              with switch on my Bt3100. Replace it yourself. I went to the Porter cable/Delta factory authorized service center and had them order a switch
              for the Delta tablesaw I wanted. It cost me $47.95. I replaced mine, also relocated it to the left side underneath the sliding rail where it is easier
              to get to like I wanted, and for safety concerns.
              eezlock

              Comment

              • dwolsten
                Established Member
                • Sep 2004
                • 122
                • Chandler, AZ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100

                #8
                Originally posted by eezlock
                If you cannot get the factory to replace it, you might want to do what I did with switch on my Bt3100. Replace it yourself.
                Doesn't Grizzly sell a generic power tool switch? Some Delta drill presses are notorious for their power switches failing, and many people report that they got a similar switch from Grizzly which fit in the opening with little modification. Also, the switch cost less than $20 IIRC.

                Comment

                Working...