• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gdog
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Soperton, Georgia.

A question for the panel....

I have been enjoying my BT3100 for a little over a year. The only thing I have done to it is paint the red line. I have the stock rails and the accessory kit. Tell me this please: what is the set-up for the best use of what I have? I have the miter slot table and my router is in a router table so I don't need to mount it on the saw. I don't do any big projects, don't have a big shop. Also, what jigs or other additions should I make to get some more utility from the saw? Thanks for any input.
    Gordon
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

setup, jigs, and modifications all are dependent on what you do with the saw.

I make alot of chess board and have started making small boxes. so I have a setup and jigs that help me with that but also allow me to do other things. The sky is the limit, so without more info on what you regularly do and what you are interested in doing, we can't give much direction.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• gdog
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2003
      • Soperton, Georgia.

Well, just whatever strikes my fancy. I have a mini lathe and like to do some small turnings. 10" BS that I want to try some boxes on. Scroll saw projects. Does the miter slot table have enough purpose to warrant mounting it?
      Gordon

Comment

• Ken Weaver
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Clemson, SC, USA
        • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by gdog
        Does the miter slot table have enough purpose to warrant mounting it?
        The only thing I use it for is a table extender to the right of the blade. I also have a miter slot table for the left side, but I never install it. Don't put it on unless you think you need it. Don't build a jig until you need it. Think about and then do your projects and you'll discover what you will need. Then go to the articles section and chances are someone has already figured out how to build it.

HTH
        Ken Weaver
        Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I find myself needing to build jigs for some reason or other with almost every project, but the most important thing I've built for my saw is a pair of featherboards. They're safer than working by hand and I get better cuts when I use them. I need to add a tall fence so I can use one featherboard as a holddown and I need to build myself something so I can place the featherboard that holds stock against the blade further to the left for wider cuts than the miter slot or the SMT currently allow.

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Ken Weaver
            Don't build a jig until you need it. Think about and then do your projects and you'll discover what you will need. Then go to the articles section and chances are someone has already figured out how to build it.
            That's great advice from Ken (as usual!) - jigs need to be made where actually needed, rather than as projects in their own right, otherwise you become a slave to them instead of them being a useful accessory. A couple of examples may clarify these ramblings:

I was asked to make a table which was to have tapered legs. OK - time to knock up a tapering jig for the saw. I've used it several times since, but didn't feel the need for it before the table request.

My friend wanted a custom design for a TV corner - the only specification was for a louvered panel. Right - time to make a louvre jig.

The only jig I made in advance was nothing to do with the saw - it was a 1" on-center router jig for putting adjustable shelf holes in cabinet carcasses.

HTH

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...