• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rizal
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2006

Problem with reinstalling shims

Hi all,

My belts broke on my BT3100 so following the great directions from this site I took it apart and installed new belts. The belts went on with just a little bit of struggle. The problem is reinstalling the shims. I put the flat shims on either side of the arbor then put the spring shims on the guide holder. I'm pretty sure these are on correctly per the great pics by Black Walnut. The four screws that hold the guide holder to the motor go in just fine. When I try to screw in the two screws that connect the guide holder to the bearing plate they don't quite reach. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Welcome to the forums.

Its hard to tell exactly what you are talking about without pictures. Maybe, though, if you compared your assembly to the parts diagram in the manuel.
    Alex

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I'm thinking you may need to wiggle the bearing farther onto the shaft. Sounds like you may be binding up there.
      It can be difficult, but the trick is not to use brute force, but rather smooth finesse and even pressure.
      A few very light taps of a small rubber mallet may aid you in this.
      Lee

Comment

• Rizal
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2006

Parts diagram

Thanks folks for the replies.

In the exploded table saw diagram the guide holder #80 is held onto the motor by six screws #85 and #89. The two screws #85 closest to and to the left and right of the arbor are screwed thru the guide holder to the bearing plate #4 (in the exploded motor diag.) The problem is the screws don't quite reach all the way to the bearing plate. Is the bearing plate supposed to be loose on the arbor? Also when placing the spring shims #3 behind the guide holder does the wide wavy part goes toward the front of the guide holder and the narrow part with the holes goes toward the arbor?

Thanks again.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

On the shims the narrow part with holes goes towards the arbor.

It sounds like you do not have the guide holder seated far enough on the arbor. You can very carefully try tightenting the 4 #89 screws to see if the guide holder will seat further. I would do this by hand as the guide holder may be binding on the arbor.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...