• Show
Clear All
  • bigsteel15
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • Edmonton, AB
    • Ryobi BT3100

New BT3 cabinet

I'm in the process of making a mobile cabinet.
    Having borrowed (stolen) many ideas here let me express my thanks to all.
    The torsion box is done (24" x 84").
    Now comes the layout part.
    My query is what most people have done about positioning the saw on the mobile base. I know the saw will go at the left end. I have the miter slot accessory mounted on the left of the saw.
    I want to keep the length to maximum 8 ft overall, including rails (I have 2 full sets plus a half rail set which I may not use).

Would you suggest the SMT should also go to the left and should I move the accessory slot to the right? Seems uncomfortable when using SMT to right of the blade.
    I do have two of almost everything (SMT, acc table, fences) with plans to possibly add a second full unit (if they ever go on clearance in Canada), so that could also help here.
    I'm trying to allow for still tipping the saw to the left (or back hinged) for cleaning/maintenance.
    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Brian,

I have only the SMT left of the saw. The only time I wish for something more over there is when I am ripping something at 45 degrees. Then I shift the rails and move the accessory table over. The area where my BT3100 normally sits is only about 10 feet wide and I need to be able to move my jointer/planner into the same area when planning long pieces. I am thus limited in how wide the saw can comforably be. If you have plenty of space, you have plenty of rail so you could put a foot or so of table surface on the left.

I do not see the purpose of a miter slot on the BT3100. I made a little wooden table with an aluminum slot piece in it but the only thing I do with the slot is put the zero clearance plate screws in it while I am changing blades. If I were to use one, I would want it on the right. That is what feels correct to me plus I think the SMT works best when it is close to the blade.

Jim

Comment

• gmack5
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
      Brian,
      That is what feels correct to me plus I think the SMT works best when it is close to the blade. Jim
      Yup! That's why you need to paint the RED Line, so you don't circumsize your Miter Fence!
      Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
      Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
      George

Comment

• venkatbo
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Hi Brian,

Could you share your torsion box design - Have read about its purpose, but unsure how to go about designing one.

Thanks,
        /venkat

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

With all that rail to work with, I wouldn't shortchange the left side. I have "just" one set of extension rails, and I keep my SMT and accessory table to the left; the SMT being closer to the blade. This gives a reasonable amount of support for long crosscuts, etc.

Then again, there have been a few examples shown here of outboard support accessories for the left side. You really only need rails on that side if you're going to have the fence there. And the only reason to do that is when cutting bevels (so the blade is tipping away from the fence).

Having the SMT to the left feels more natural to me, also. And, I like having it closest to the blade for better control. That's one of the "cons" when I consider getting the miter slot accessory.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I ordered the hardware for mounting the Miter Slot on the right side. This seems like the best solution for me. I think a miter slot is handy for certain jigs, but I prefer the SMT and the closer to the blade the better.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• bigsteel15
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2006
              • Edmonton, AB
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by venkatbo
              Hi Brian,

Could you share your torsion box design - Have read about its purpose, but unsure how to go about designing one.

Thanks,
              /venkat
              I basically used Ray's ideas here.
              https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mobile-cabinet

My spacing is 8" for the long ribs (4" in from each side) and 12" for the short ribs (12" in from each end..should have maybe made it 6" in from each end)
              I made mine from 3/4" plywood.

I've come up with an idea for the cabinet boxes I will make. Going to try to have a mock-up this weekend.
              I will post a couple of pictures over the weekend. Have to clean the shop first...quite embarrassing. I'm still in the "before picture" stage.

Can someone tell me how I can post an ACAD dwg here.
              Brian

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My saw has the dual miter slot table between the main table and SMT (i.e, in the customary position) and I actually prefer this arrangement to having the SMT closer to the blade.

The reason is that I tend to use my CMS for crosscutting short, narrow pieces and use the BT's SMT more for crosscutting larger panels. Having the DMST next to the main table moves the SMT and its fence over where it's more toward the middle of a longer, wider panel. This arrangement also makes it impossible to accidentally cut off the plastic end of the SMT fence: it won't reach the blade.

Individual preferences and needs are different, as the other replies indicate, so as always, YMMV.
                Larry

Comment

• bigsteel15
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Edmonton, AB
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Just an observation also for anybody making a cabinet for the BT3.

The saw is made with METRIC measurements on everything.
                  For example the distance between the rails stated as 22-7/16" by most is actually 570 mm. The rails are nice even numbers (front is 50mm x 70mm if I remember right).
                  The depth and width of the housing is 500mm, not 20"

AND SO ON....

I know that is a PITA for most of you, but if you have the measuring tools, you'll find it actually works quite nice, especially if using BB or any other imported Birch plywood (3/4" is actually 18mm in most cases).
                  Measuring to a mm accuracy isn't in my future, except for the height of any mating tables, but 2 mm is just over (0.078") 1/16" so should be not bad.
                  Last edited by bigsteel15; 05-05-2006, 01:58 PM.
                  Brian

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have a very narrow (about 2" wide) sort-of miter slot mounted to the left of a blade for a very specific purpose - I made my own version of Grr-ripper utilizing this slot. The slot is made of oak, so it would not work as a real miter slot - too soft for a metal slider. The SMT comes next, so it is close to the blade but there is about 2" spacer between saw body and SMT. Without that spacer SMT fence would not be able to pass by the shark guard. The DSMT is mounted to the right of the saw body and is used often both for the saw and the router in accessory table. But that DSMT is mounted in a way that it takes 2 minutes to remove it and SMT can be placed in its place. This way I don't have to answer the question whether I want SMT to the left or to the right - I have and use ability to put it on the left or the right depending what I need at the moment.
                    Alex V

Comment

• bigsteel15
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Edmonton, AB
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Thinking out loud while I go.

Adding more questions/ideas to my own thread here.

Has anyone used Rare Earth magnets to hold down a table top section on a modular cabinet?

I'm wondering if I placed about 6 each side in cups spaced equally on a 3 ft long section if it would hold sufficiently. Keep in mind it would be sitting in between the rails front and back.
                      I don't think I would be able to slide it sideways without a good push to dislodge the magnets.

Just thinking out loud while drawing a mock-up.
                      Brian

Comment

• mattlam

Hi Brian,

Are you anticipating to use the half extension rails?

I would be interested in them if you do not believe you would use them.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Matt

Comment

Working...