• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RLonning
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2005
    • Hailey, ID, USA.

Roll Pin loose?!

My blade depth adjusment locked up on my BT3000. I suspected shims, but since I'd installed the BT3100 upgrade, I was pretty bummed. I loosened the guide holder, jiggled everything around, (flat shims fell out, of course), still couldn't get the blade adjusting handle to budge.

Finally noticed the roll pin (51) had slipped part way allowing the spring (40) to slide forward over the end of the roll pin preventing the roll pin from engaging the clutch (29). I did a search to see if anyone has had this problem and for the most part, it seems people have had difficulty getting the roll pin to move at all. I can slide mine with my fingers. I pryed the spring back, slid the roll pin into place, dry lubed the shaft, replaced the shims, guide holder, etc. and now everything is working fine.

Has anyone had this problem? I'm afraid my roll pin will shift again.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Stick
    • Sep 2003
    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
    • BT3100

Wierd! I'd try a new roll pin first. if that is still loose, I'd use Loctite on it. there's a grade that takes up gaps and is pretty much made for locating gears, bushings, etc. I forget the number.

Comment

• RickT
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

I had to use a roll-pin punch to remove mine when I completely disassembled my saw for a complete clean/lube. My initial attempt was with a nail, which worked poorly. I took a long time to punch out the roll pin, and I pretty much destroyed it in the process. I found Ace hardware has a great selection of roll pins, so I bought a replacement along with a set of roll-pin punches. The new one went in nicely, and it fits snuggly. Below is a link to the post describing the ordeal...I mean wonderful learning experience.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=17889

Comment

Working...