• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SplinterHead
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Omaha, NE, USA.

Can't Raise Blade (HELP!)

I know this question has been asked before, however I can't seem to glean a sure answer from my forum searches. Any advice would be helpful.

Problem: I can't raise the blade on my BT3100.

Symptoms/Details: Splitter is off the saw, blade lowers fine, blade angle adjusts fine. The blade had been getting harder to raise, now it will not raise at all and the adjust knob just turns with no result. A while back I cleaned and dry lube the gear system which didn't seem to help much then. I have inspected the gears assembly again and it appears not to be stripped. It acts like the adjustment knob is not turning the shaft, the knob spins with heavy resistance when trying to raise the blade.
    Ken
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

had that same thing happen to me

A while back, in the middle of a project, at a friends house no less, I had the blade height adjustment stop working, but in the opposite direction.

The quick fix was to use a alan rench to change the blade height ( it worked in the direction I needed, down, but not up)

I ended up replacing the handle ( with the help of another forum member)

there are several options you can pursue

there has been talk of a sear brand replacement part from the craftsman version of the BT31K

or there is getting a knob off of a parted-out bt3100.

either way, I would suggest chaning out your knob. And keep your saw very well lubed up, and cleaned out.

Sorry that this is the only advise I have to offer
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• SplinterHead
      Established Member
      • May 2003
      • Omaha, NE, USA.

I removed the handle, attached a vise-grip tool, and then cleaned the gears very thoroughly while working the assembly up and down. I got it to raise and lower like it was new even with the stock handle attached. Once the saw was put back together I made a three foot cut of 3/4" MDF and could already start to notice the blade getting harder to raise and lower. I guess I’ll clean it again and try candle wax, I hear on this forum that it works pretty well.

Thanks for the reply pierhogunn! At least now I know what is causing the issue.

Anyone have any good suggestions for what to use as a lube, I was using Dri-lube?

**PROBLEM SOLVED!** ANOTHER GOOD CLEANING AND AN APPLICATION OF CANDLE WAX!! I WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE, WORKS GREAT!!!!!
      Last edited by SplinterHead; 03-05-2006, 06:47 PM.
      Ken

Comment

Working...