• Show
Clear All
  • should_have
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Baltimore, MD
    • BT3100

BT3100 on a Ridigit MSUV

Any body have any thoughts on mounting a BT3100 on a Ridgid (AC9940) Miter Saw Utility Vehicle? I need to transport the saw up and down my basement steps.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I will be honest with you on this: The BT works well in moving it around a shop or garage on wheels, - but up and down stairs will probably require adjustment checks every time you move it. If you only want "contractor" and "framing" cuts where 1/16 inch is not a problem, then it will probably be OK. But I don't know for sure.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

There is a newer very similar to BT3100 model sold under the "Craftsman" brand at Sears which comes with more suiatble for you base. It is made as a job-site saw and I believe is also made by Ryobi for Sears. Model #21829. Check it out. Try the link below:
      http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921829000
      This saw looks more expensive than BT3100 but it already includes base and router table.
      Alex V

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

There is a newer very similar to BT3100 model sold under the "Craftsman" brand at Sears which comes with more suiatble for you base. It is made as a job-site saw and I believe is also made by Ryobi for Sears. Model #21829. Check it out. Try the link below:
        http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00921829000
        This saw looks more expensive than BT3100 but it already includes base and router table.
        Alex V

Comment

• sacherjj
          Not Your Average Joe
          • Dec 2005
          • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by should_have
          Any body have any thoughts on mounting a BT3100 on a Ridgid (AC9940) Miter Saw Utility Vehicle? I need to transport the saw up and down my basement steps.
          I am 6'5" tall. The BT3100 on the MSUV would be too tall to be safe for ME. A CMS has a work surface at most 2-3" above the table top. What is the height of the BT3100 body? It didn't bring it to work to measure, but it is atleast 12", isn't it? It would just be too tall to be safe. All the other things about weight and movement and such are moot.
          Joe Sacher

Comment

• gp-clipper
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006
            • Milwaukee, WI.

I have the Craftsman portable saw. I will be posting a general review separately, but it is a pretty good setup. I have a Craftsman router which mounted to the router table. It is a pricey saw though.

My suggestion before before buying is to look at some of the mobile base designs posted on this site. There was one that showed a BT3100 mounted on a hand dolly. I wish I would have seen some of the mobile bases before I bought the Craftsman. I don't know if it would have changed my mind, but it would have given me some more alternatives for mobile bases.

Good luck

Comment

• should_have
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • Baltimore, MD
              • BT3100

Keep the suggestion coming

Folks, I appreciate the quick replies. I am assuming the sears model is identical in construction to the BT3100 minus the portable base and accessories. So if the Sears #21829 can be portable I would like to make the BT3100 portable (Homeowner only use).

Joe thanks on the height comment, I have to take a look at the MSUV the next time I am in HD.

GP- waiting for your review of the Sears#21829. I don’t want to pay the $449.

I was looking @ the Lowes $199 Hitachi C10FR portable work saw, but found a bad review about the jagged/lousy cut left for ripping. Which Is the main resaon I need to purshae the saw for.

With Homedepot price of $249 for the BT3100 I would to make it portable to take to my son’s house for remodeling, than return the sawhome for home use.

Every body rates this saw as Cadillac on a chey price. I wish it was more portable like the sears model.
              Last edited by should_have; 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• vaking
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2005
                • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

Are you talking moving the saw to son's house once or regular hauling it back and forth? If this is a one-time deal - BT3100 is not that heavy. Disconnect it from the base, transport and put together at new location.
                Comparison of prices is not that straight-forward. BT3100 is $250. MSUV is another $100. Router kit if you need it costs too. The new Sears model is a new and improved version of BT3100, there were discussions here about it. In includes some improvements, such as miter slots on the sides of router accessory table.
                Alex V

Comment

• should_have
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Baltimore, MD
                  • BT3100

Vaking, yes it would be a one time move until we finished remodeling.

But I still would like to move my saw up and down my basement steps to cut wood outside for larger projects (small basement).

May how found the solution, ref "Another Mobile Base"

Or remove/disassemble the saw from the base.

thanks

Comment

• sacherjj
                    Not Your Average Joe
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Well for almost the price of the Sears model, just buy and inside and outside BT3100.
                    Joe Sacher

Comment

• NJFrank
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • NJ, USA.

Even if do able on the ridgid stand, I would question the stability. Since the saw will sit higher, also the footprint of the stand (depth front to back) will it be stable enough combined with the higher center of gravity. especially with heavier stock being cut

May work though, outfeed table off the back.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

If you would have bought the saw at the $199 price point (when they had the $50 rebate), you would have come out ahead to buy the 3100 and then the Craftsman stand seperatly. Otherwise, you are looking at $249 and $170 (A182011301 PartLookup $ 170.14). I still haven't bought one (also small basement shop), but I am considering it (due to size of shop, pro's vs cons of no extended rails, verses portability). Other then that, the router table, and I've heard the length of the rails (supposably 3" longer on the Craftsman) I am wondering whether I should go that route, or just buy the Craftsman, for the portability, as a complete saw. Then I could use it for construction projects, and then check the alignment, whenever I needed the accuracy of the saw.
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

I also once looked into the Ridgid ac9930 work and haul it stand (base on their portable, jobsite saw). The only two places I found a price, were on their forum, and I believe on one of the Ryobi parts places, talked about here (don't remember which one). From what I found out in the forums, right before they discontinues selling this thru the borg, it went from $149 to $225. It's a lot closer to the homebuilt dolly one here.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Outdoor distributors AC9930
                            RID-AC9930
                            ACC-RIDGID WORKnHAULIT
                            Regular
                            Price
                            $163.90

You Pay
                            Only
                            $139.32

Comment

Working...