Bt3100 belt replacement

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • teacherman
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2006
    • 2
    • Columbus, Ohio
    • BT3100

    #1

    Bt3100 belt replacement

    So, I have been lurking for 2 1/2 years and now I need help. I broke my belts with a ZCTP and need instructions on changing them. Seems like all the instructions are gone! The RYOBI forum refers me back here. It seems like I have disassembled the entire saw and still cannot get to the belts. Help please!
    Last edited by teacherman; 02-23-2006, 04:25 PM.
  • just4funsies
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 843
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

    #2
    I've never had to do it, but I know it's been discussed here in detail. Try the forum search functions, and I'm pretty sure you'll find what you need.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

    Comment

    • monte
      ***** Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • 5242
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

      #3
      Try this thread.
      http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...lt+replacement
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

      http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

      Comment

      • mdutch
        Established Member
        • Nov 2005
        • 140
        • Dallas, TX, USA.

        #4
        Holy cow!

        Well I just replaced my belts with the newer "clear" replacements from Sears (instead of the crusty rubber ones) and man, what a job it was sneaking THOSE buggers on.

        I did come up with one new "twist" in walking them on. Instead of turning the large blade arbor by hand (hey, I'm a computer tech with lady hands!), I put a spacer and the shaft nut back on the arbor, and used the blade wrench to torque it over with ease. I got both belts walked on in about ten minutes flat after I figured out I should use the wrench, no other tools needed.

        I think getting that quick twist seemed to be the trick to "encourage" those new space-age non-rubber belts onto their homes. Granted I have a blister on my thumb, but hey, it's a manly repair blister, to be worn with pride and discussed in detail at tomorrow's cigar club meeting.
        Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
        3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
        Another DFW BT3'er!

        Comment

        • Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • 5513
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

          #5
          Holy cow! You found a topic 2 1/2 years old to add this to. Your tip could have and perhaps should have stood on its own merits, although I think I've heard others mention it before.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure


          marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

          Head servant of the forum

          ©

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #6
            I think your computer tech hands had a bit more skill than my non-tech hands. I got no blisters and needed no wrench but I struggled with the belts for a half hour or more before I finally got it started. Once the belt is a little bit started on both pulleys, you can tap it over with a block of wood.

            My other recommendation is patience (not my strong suit typically). I found it a bit frustrating. Not the best task at the end of a long day (or immediately after frying the belts if you are like me).

            Jim

            Comment

            • Bob Bassett
              Established Member
              • May 2003
              • 132
              • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

              #7
              When mine broke, I saw - somewhere - on how to tale some aluminum tubing.

              I cut away half of the diameter for about 2 inches.

              I used this aluminum tube to lever the belt on the arbor and it went right on.

              Getting old and the hand-strength is not what it used to be.
              Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

              Comment

              Working...