• Show
Clear All
  • ksu93
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Topeka, KS
    • Ryobi BT3000

Home Depot's internet description of BT3100

I was just checking to see if the sale price was still in effect on the HD web site when I noticed this in the product description:

"Cutting large stock is no problem with this 3 hp, belt-driven aluminum table saw."

There's a big oops for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is actually a direct drive that's nowhere near 3 hp, right?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

You're partly right.

The BT is indeed a belt-driven saw.

But no, the motor isn't capable of producing anything close to 3HP for any extended period of time. Maybe in short bursts, but that's all. It's rated at 15A, which equates to about 2.4HP maximum.
    Larry

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Never Believe Horsepower Ratings

The motor in the BT3100 is essentially the same motor found in 15 amp. routers. Nearly every manufacturer claims at least 3 hp. for these, so HD is too. The big difference in this design is that because of the belt drive, the gear ratio of the motor to arbor is 4:1 taking that high rpm of the motor down to the 4,800 rpm of the saw. This also multiplies the torque of the motor by 4. This gives the saw the power to resaw 3 1/2" stock with relative ease. My old 13 amp. Bt3000 can do it, so it is a piece of cake for my BT3100.
      By the way, the design of the belt drive is what gives the BT3100 it's big depth of cut. More than the cabinet saws.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...