Router mounted on BT3100 accessory table

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Wilson
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • 8
    • Texas
    • BT3100

    #1

    Router mounted on BT3100 accessory table

    I just setup a RE180PL router on my accessory table. The router shaft/bit shows some sideways motion that appears to be due to clearance in the router plunger rods. I have made sure that all attaching screws are tight to table and router base. I never had a router table before so I am not sure what is reasonable movement. Is this normal for a plunger router mounted on a router table?

    I would think that a router bit should be as stable as possible in order to provide a smooth even cut.
  • sacherjj
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 813
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

    #2
    Is there a lock on the router that attaches it to the base? I've got a crappy Skil router and there is no movement once locked down. (There is very poor registration back to the same position when height is adjusted though.)
    Joe Sacher

    Comment

    • Wilson
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2006
      • 8
      • Texas
      • BT3100

      #3
      That is a good point. When I get home I will check if I set the lock.

      FYI, I removed one of the base springs to reduce the tension since it is no hanging upside down. Does it make a difference which spring is removed?

      Comment

      • JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • 4187
        • Lexington, SC.

        #4
        Removing springs should not affect the movement - they just push the router up so it doesn't fall down when using it hand-held. Up is the safe direction. In the router table, it goes up without spring assistance.

        Locking it could affect things a bit but it should not move much even if not locked - you make router cuts without it locked, at least I do.

        Jim

        Comment

        Working...