• Show
Clear All
  • Cody.h
    Established Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
    • BT3100

Power Switch Repair

I had my saw apart cleaning it today so I took a couple of pics showing how I replaced my stock switch that wouldn't shut off with this switch http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3812 from Woodcraft. I did this almost a year ago so we'll see if I can remember how I did it.

Here's where I ran the wires though the left side of the saw in original positions. I moved the blade all the way to the 45 deg position and pulled as much excess motor cord as I could out through the box to give me room to adjust the switch side to side. You can almost see where I drilled out the back of the front box to slip the power cord through so I didn't have to cut the new cord.

Here's the front with everything hooked up. My custom grommet is from an old shock and the plywood I split in half to go around the cord...I almost pulled it apart to paint the plywood black but was running outta time...lol.

The switch is mounted to the bottom of the rails with a piece of MDF and 2 screws and t-nuts from the accessory kit then the switch is screwed into the MDF...I'm glad the acc. kit was free when I bought my saw...the screws and nuts are the only thing I've ever used from it..lol.

All and all it works very well and has made my saw much safer!!
    The truth is just the truth.
  • gmack5
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

Nice looking install, although I probably would have used a metal piece rather than a piece of "Ply-Wood". But all in all, it should work fine. []

Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
    Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
    George

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

Good job on the install. Great idea too.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• jrow
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2005
        • Chesapeake, VA.

Thats a good idea on the switch which is what I need to do I don't totally understand the wiring. When you disconnected the old switch what did you do with the wires going to it? I know I'm missing something here.

Comment

• Cody.h
          Established Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
          • BT3100

Jrow sorry to take so long to get back to ya... I'm at work and customers keep bothering me...but here goes.

In the top pic you can see both the switch box and the plug box that is mounted on left side of the saw. I took everything outta both boxes leaving me just the wire from the motor which already has the plug on it. The wire from the new switch runs through my custom grommet and face plate inside the saw and through the top hole of the plug box. I had to drill a hole in the switch box so the plug would fit through without cutting the cord and the plywood is 2 pieces for the same reason.

The plug box comes apart so I just ran the power cord from the motor through the bottom hole and the power cord through the top hole. Power cord goes to the wall switch and the power cord from the saw is plugged into the bottom of the new switch.

Hope this helps...the switch sure seems plently stout...I've had zero issues since I installed it...much easier to shut it off because of the bar and its location right at the front of the saw. Any more questions please dont hesitate to ask!
          The truth is just the truth.

Comment

Working...