• Show
Clear All
  • siloamga
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2003
    • Siloam, Georgia
    • BT3100

Best Woodworking Books

I was looking at some deals today on woodworking books and I got to wondering which books have been recommended by the folks on this site. No sense in buying something I would regret, so, I started searching on the site and compiled the following list. I wrote them down and thought I would share them with you. If I missed any "You've got to read this" type woodworking books, please post the name of the book.

And....you can’t believe how many bookcase projects have been done and talked about on this site! Jeez...

Whole lot of folks recommended these books

- Table Saw Magic by Jim Tolpin ISBN: 1558706771
    - The Table Saw Book by Kelly Mehler ISBN: 1561584266
    - Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack ISBN: 0762102276
    - Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Duginske ISBN: 0806963980
    - The Bandsaw Book by Lonnie Bird ISBN: 1561582891
    - The Complete Book of Woodworking, Published by Landauer ISBN:1890621358
    - Getting Started in Woodworking by Aimee Ontario Fraser ISBN: 1561586102
    - Measure Twice, Cut Once by Norm Abram ISBN: 0316004944
    - Understanding Wood Finishing: How to Select and Apply the Right Finish by Bob Flexner ISBN: 0762101911

Individual recommendations with poster that recommended at the end
    - Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking 1&2 ISBN: 1561580686 esp. vol. 1 – jethro
    - Router Basics by Patrick Spielman ISBN: 080697222X –Anthony
    - The Router Book by Doug Geller ASIN: 069611092X –Anthony
    - The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee ISBN: 1561581259 - milanuk
    - Turning Pens and Pencils by Kip Christensesn ISBN: 1861081006 – S. Muth
    - Workshop Math by Robert Scharff ISBN: 0806958022 – John Parker
    - The Handplane Book by Garret Hack ISBN: 1561587125 – Bob Crosley
    - Choosing and Using Hand Tools by Andy Rae ISBN: 1579902944 – Bob Crosley
    - The Complete Guide to Easy Woodworking Projects by Black and Decker ISBN: 1589230930 – Woodnut
    - Woodworking: The Right Technique: Three Practical Ways to Do Every Job – And How to Choose the One that’s Right for You by Bob Moran and Nick Engler ISBN: 0762102284 -jriechel
    - Proven Shop Tips by The Taunton Press ISBN: 0918804329
    - Decorating with Architectural Trim work – Planning – Designing - Installing By Jay Silber ISBN: 1580110789 – Steve
    - Woodworkers Hand Tools: An Essential Guide by Rick Peters ISBN: 0806966610 – Bob Crosley
    - Restoring, Tuning and Using Classic Woodworking Tools by Michael Dunbar ISBN: 080696670X
    - Router Magic: Jigs, Fixtures and Tricks to Unleash Your Router’s Full Potential by William Hylton ISBN: 0762101857 – oakchas
    - Crown Molding and Trim – Install It Like a Pro by Wayne Drake ASIN: 1581125941 – wild bill
    - Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock ISBN: 0953104907 – Tundraman
    - Chests of Drawers by Bill Hylton ISBN: 1561584223 - istvan

Video’s mentioned while looking for books
    - Master Your Table Saw Video by Kelly Mehler -sillygoose
    - Frank Klausz on Biscuit Joinery
    - Mastering Your Table Saw by Taunton Press ASIN: 6302706262 - sillygoose

Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. It's what makes this site great.

Keith
    I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977).
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Nice job. Thanks.
    John

Comment

• silverfox
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Richland Center WI, USA.
      • BT3100

WOW!, Keith! That took some time and effort. I, for one, really appreciate this list. It's a print out for sure! Thanks!!
      Mike

Comment

• michael1313
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2003
        • IN, USA.

Should be noted Mastering your table saw video and The table saw book are essentially the same thing. The handplane book should go up into one that many recommend. It's like the bible if you want to get into handplanes.
        If your not cheating, your not trying. If your not trying, your not winning. If your not winning why play?

Comment

• sandiego_tim
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2003
          • San Diego, CA, USA.

Thanks Keith for that list. I've been looking back at old threads finding info on books as well, but your list is great!!!

Comment

• BrazosJake
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Benbrook, TX.
            • Emerson-built Craftsman

Thanks for organizing these, Tim.

FWIW, Overstock.com has the Band Saw Handbook for $10.69.

Let BedBathandBeyond.com help you discover designer brands & home goods at the lowest prices online. With free shipping on EVERYTHING*. See for yourself why shoppers love our selection & award-winning customer service.

Comment

• davidtu
              • Apr 2006
              • Seattle, WA
              • BT3100

Exactly what I was looking for. Can this be made sticky? I'd move it to another Forum tho.

Who is in charge of making things sticky?? Uh... that didn't come out right.
              Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Great compilation! Bookmarked it for later reference. Thanks for putting it together!

Comment

• tg3
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Seattle, WA.
                  • Grizzly G0444Z

Thanks for the list.

But it is surely incomplete without

- Care and Repair of Shop Machines by John White ISBN 1-56158-424-X

I'm also surprised at the lack of 'shop ideas' books. All of the following have given me great ideas for improving my shop.

Projects for Your Shop by Matthew Teague ISBN 1-56158-689-7 (best beginner book, complete project construction details)

Small Woodworking Shops by Fine Woodworking ISBN 1-56158-686-2 (compilation of FW articles)

Workshop Idea Book by Andy Rae ISBN 1-56158-695-1 (almost a coffee table book of shop layouts, tool storage, workstations)
                  If you don't measure, you don't know.

Comment

• enorwood
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22124

One of my all-time favorites is:

Classic Joints with Power Tools by Jeung Chan. ISBN 1579902790 (Lark Books)
                    -Earl

Comment

• wouldchuck
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2005
                      • Richmond, VA, USA.

Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Jigs & Fixtures by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. ISBN: 1561587702 is a great idea book (but was just published this year, so good luck finding a bargain on it).

Comment

• dtam
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • santa clara, CA
                        • delta 36-675

My favorite is also Classic Joints with Power Tools by Yeung Chan. The best book on joinery that I've seen.

Comment

• MilDoc

Might I add:

Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner, the real guru on finishing

The Best Jigs & Fixtures for your Woodshop by by Popular Woodworking Books

Building Woodshop Workstations by Danny Proulx

Setting Up Shop by Sandor Nagyszalanczy

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MilDoc
                            Might I add:

Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner, the real guru on finishing

The Best Jigs & Fixtures for your Woodshop by by Popular Woodworking Books

Building Woodshop Workstations by Danny Proulx

Setting Up Shop by Sandor Nagyszalanczy
                            Understanding Wood Finishing is on the list. It is a great book (though you have to get through Flexners attitude) however I would add Great Wood Finishes by Jeff Jewit. The Flexner book is great if you have some experience and want to get in depth on finishing, thought it does not address techniques, etc. The Jewit book is certainly a better choice for the entry level woodworker. I highly recommend both.

Woodchuck, I couldn't agree with you more. Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Jigs & Fixtures by Sandor Nagyszalanczy is awesome.

This list is awesome and should definately be stickied.

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Great List!!!!
                              I've been thinking of looking for some woodworking books and was wondering what to buy. You saved me lots of time!!!

If I may suggest:
                              Move the list to a FAQ.
                              Add to each book if it's for beginners, intermediate, advance, all the above, etc.
                              BRIEF couple line description on what in the book / what it covers.
                              For example: Good book for a beginner wanting dealing with large sheet projects. Many detailed step by step instructions, could have had more illustrations for those steps. The author steps though three projects each one slightly more advanced then the next.

Being a beginner myself I would not want to waste the money on book that way over my head. By the same token I’m sure you advance users would not want to get a book that you know more about then the author did.
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...