• Show
Clear All
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

+1 for Robert Bosch Tool

I'm extremely fussy ..... okay ... ANAL ..... about air hoses and garden hoses ... I grew up knowing how to throw a whip into a hose to roll it up and cheap hoses just don't roll up for CRAP!!!!

Flexogen garden hoses have always been TOP NOTCH stuff and a few years I invested in 2 of them not realizing in my purchase decision that they actually have a lifetime warranty ... I questioned this as a gimmick/marketing ploy/bullcrap/etc ..... recently I cut the ends from 2 3/4"x100' hoses that had given up (one coupler let loose, the other hose had burst) and sent them off for warranty.

Today I found my first replacement on my doorstep shipped UPS .... no fuss, no muss, no BS .... just a letter with the couplers stating size and problem along with shipping info for the replacements.

I shall await the second replacement but a 2 week turnaround for the first replacement is quite remarkable.

I highly recommend a few extra bucks for Flexogen hoses and felt this experience was a bargain alert!!!!!!!
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**
  • annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida
    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

How do you "to throw a whip into a hose to roll it up" ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I have a Flexogen, and it's in fine shape. Never considered a "warranty" for hoses as anything more than hype. Good to know if and when it fails. Did you need to submit a POP?

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

How is flexogen associated with Bosch? I guess I don't get the connection there.

Comment

• RAV2
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Massachusetts

I've been buying Craftsman Garden hoses - black with the hd brass fittings.

They have a lifetime warranty - no paperwork required - they're stamped into the metal with the info.

Sears Hardware is just up the street.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

I've warrantied a flexogen hose with no issue. The replacement was defective (had a hole in the hose) so I called them and they apologized and sent me a replacement for the replacement. No POP, RMA, or prior contact required, you just mail the two ends of the hose with an explanation of the failure.

Apex "Neverkink" hoses require a POP and an RMA for you to submit photos for them to consider a warranty replacement. As if I still have the reciept for a $25 hose 6 years later. I don't buy their hoses anymore.

FYI Flexogen is part of the Robert Bosch group.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Thom2
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by annunaki
              How do you "to throw a whip into a hose to roll it up" ?
              THAT my sir, is something that I simply cannot explain with words .... and probably the reason that most people don't know how to appreciate a really good air/water hose.

My wife can fight a good hose for 2 hours trying to put it away and it's still a tangled mess .... takes me all of 30 seconds and it's laying in a nicely coiled pile.

Comment

• Thom2
                • Jan 2003
                • Stevens, PA, USA.
                • Craftsman 22124

Thank You Tom .... I think you covered all the questions

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Thom2
                  THAT my sir, is something that I simply cannot explain with words
                  Is this what you mean?
                  The simplest things can trip us up-literally! Rolling up your garden hose so you don't trip over it when your finished watering can be a source of frustratio...

or this
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by woodturner; 06-21-2013, 06:14 AM.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

I imagine he "whips" it a little like twirling a lariat. I have done something similar in this fashion: When the hand is in a circular motion and at the point of pulling the hose back towards the body, grip the hose, pulling it inward coiling it over the ground at the feet. As the hand moves across your body and then forward away from the body, it slides over the incoming force of the hose; as the hand reaches the apex of the circle away from the body, it begins to grip the hose and pull inward again, keeping the momentum of the incoming hose going. The hand is still going in a circular motion, pulling and then letting the hand slide over the hose. It coils rather nicely. The point of the circular motion of the hand is to "guide" the hose into its coil.

Just like all ropes are not good as lariats or calf roping, not all hoses will coil easily.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
                      I imagine he "whips" it a little like twirling a lariat. I have done something similar in this fashion: When the hand is in a circular motion and at the point of pulling the hose back towards the body, grip the hose, pulling it inward coiling it over the ground at the feet. As the hand moves across your body and then forward away from the body, it slides over the incoming force of the hose; as the hand reaches the apex of the circle away from the body, it begins to grip the hose and pull inward again, keeping the momentum of the incoming hose going. The hand is still going in a circular motion, pulling and then letting the hand slide over the hose. It coils rather nicely. The point of the circular motion of the hand is to "guide" the hose into its coil.

Just like all ropes are not good as lariats or calf roping, not all hoses will coil easily.
                      That sounds right. I'm guessing the water gets shut off first.

Comment

• Thom2
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Stevens, PA, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by woodturner
                        Is this what you mean?
                        The simplest things can trip us up-literally! Rolling up your garden hose so you don't trip over it when your finished watering can be a source of frustratio...

or this
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEp2Vjfrts
                        Same principle, but Hank seems to be much better with words than I

My Dad was a body man and automotive mechanic when I was a kid and I've grown up around shops with air tools. It was just something that I learned to do after watching him so I've never really thought about explaining it.

A good air hose will roll up from the tool end by "throwing a whip into it" and twisting the hose at the same time.

I gave away a brand new 50' PVC air hose one time because I simply could not stand to deal with coiling it, even done tediously that thing would not roll into a nice coil to save it's butt, so I gave it to somebody that I didn't like very much

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by Thom2
                          I gave away a brand new 50' PVC air hose one time because I simply could not stand to deal with coiling it, even done tediously that thing would not roll into a nice coil to save it's butt, so I gave it to somebody that I didn't like very much
                          Thanks a lot!

Seriously, about a year ago I bought what I thought would be a good 25' hose from Sears real cheap. It's better that what I originally had, but it won't coil to save my life, which sounds a lot like the one you had. If I ever hard line air into my shop, I may use this hose for a long run to cut down on cost. Until then, I'm stuck with this hose until I get too mad and finally chuck it.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...