X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Craftsman Hollow Chisel Mortiser $149 @ Sears or Kmart

http://slickdeals.net/f/4949052-Craf...149-ship-Kmart , I couldn't get on earlier this morning as noted in the link provided
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I just did one of those 'buy and ask questions later' deals. Not sure if I really want it, what with trying to go the traditional hand tool route. $150 would complete my chisel collection easily.

Tough call.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Decided to pull the trigger. I've wanted one forever, and it will be great to do deep, but not large mortises. Perfect for a Morris chair build, which I'm still trying to get done at some point.

I'll be calling the number tomorrow to source the upgraded chisels Sears claim to have available for replacement.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Lemme know how that works out on the upgraded chisels. I'd be interested to know what they charge for them vs a better set from another vendor. Glad you got in on the deal btw.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Here'a great writeup on how to setup yout new mortiser Chris , http://www.newwoodworker.com/setupmort.html

Comment

• Waddles
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2007

I believe these are made by Orion/Steel City.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by tommyt654
              Lemme know how that works out on the upgraded chisels. I'd be interested to know what they charge for them vs a better set from another vendor. Glad you got in on the deal btw.
              The replacement chisels are supposed to be free of charge. We'll see. Called this morning and the number is for a Colovos Company.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I want to get one, but the shipping is pretty steep. Website shows no inventory within 300 miles. Guess I'll have to go to the store during lunch and see if they have it there and will price match.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                  I want to get one, but the shipping is pretty steep. Website shows no inventory within 300 miles. Guess I'll have to go to the store during lunch and see if they have it there and will price match.
                  If you sign up for the free trial of the SYWR shipping deal, they should ship it for free - from either the Sears or Kmart website.

Most stores around here never stocked the mortiser. Found one just off the highway on a planned road trip, will pick it up on the way.

BTW, the discount codes won't work on this item, only way to save more is with a cashback site, so you can only get another 10% discount (unless you are Tommy )
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

After spending three hours doing mortises with the chisels, I'm definitely keeping this. Too bad I won't be able to set it up after the bench is done.

Comment

• jgantz
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2010

Upgraded Chisels?

Coch... I purchased the mortiser yesterday but haven't yet picked it up. What upgraded chisel set are you referring to? Is there info in the box or where did you hear about it?

Thank you,
                      Jay

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

In the Wood Magazine comparo earlier this year, they noted that the chisels gave poor results (the entire article was poorly done, they bought $150 worth of Powermatic chisels and the others were stock). Sears stated that they would replace the chisels through the end of this year by calling 800-266-9079. I called and the guy said that all the chisels now should be fixed, but I gave him my serial number for him to check. Unfortunately he didn't call me back today.

Think I'll give the guy another ring tomorrow and see. Heavy accent, but understandable. Number I got called back on was an Illinois number, but I suppose that could have been spoofed.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Montgomery, AL.
                          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Well, went to the local store today. They didn't show any in stock, but the gentleman helping me ordered it to the store at the closeout price, thus saving me the $50 shipping. I did get the 2 year agreement added on.

It should be at the store next week. I work about 2 miles from the store, so I'll pick it up during a lunch break.

FWIW: I tried a few promo codes for the SYW plus, but none of them seemed to work, which is why I went to the mall.
                          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                            In the Wood Magazine comparo earlier this year, they noted that the chisels gave poor results (the entire article was poorly done, they bought $150 worth of Powermatic chisels and the others were stock). Sears stated that they would replace the chisels through the end of this year by calling 800-266-9079. I called and the guy said that all the chisels now should be fixed, but I gave him my serial number for him to check. Unfortunately he didn't call me back today.

Think I'll give the guy another ring tomorrow and see. Heavy accent, but understandable. Number I got called back on was an Illinois number, but I suppose that could have been spoofed.
                            Did you ever hear back from the guy? Wondering if I should call about the chisels.

Thanks.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

No, and I haven't called back either.

Although I might, because I tried to use it (for real) for the first time yesterday and I wasn't impressed. Perhaps I need some practice.

Comment

Working...