X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jAngiel
    • Oct 2003
    • Ryobi BT3100

Kreg Deck Jig

Has anyone tried building a deck with the Kreg Deck Jig? Lowes has them on clearance for $29.99 and I was thinking on getting one to add a deck around the pool with hidden fasteners.
    James
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jAngiel
    Has anyone tried building a deck with the Kreg Deck Jig? Lowes has them on clearance for $29.99 and I was thinking on getting one to add a deck around the pool with hidden fasteners.
    $30? See ya.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• unknown poster
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006

I just looked at the pics on the Kreg site. Is each board only held to the joist by a screw through one edge? If the board cups, won't it pull up the unsecured edge?

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by unknown poster
        I just looked at the pics on the Kreg site. Is each board only held to the joist by a screw through one edge? If the board cups, won't it pull up the unsecured edge?
        Watching the video, it's done on both sides. Better pictures would have helped on the site.
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Only problem with these is that it still lends to board cupping and you wind up with a nail in the center to hold that down, Waste of money IMO.

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I wonder how it compares to the CAMO tool:

http://www.amazon.com/CAMO-Marksman-.../dp/B004W3CUOU

I liked that one a lot when I saw it on TOH.

Comment

• jAngiel
              • Oct 2003
              • Ryobi BT3100

The CAMO one looks pretty good too but I like that the Kreg has guides at an angle for when it's against a wall or you are butting two planks together on a joist. Although for the two butted together you can just sister another support board under so each has its own 2x to attach to.

I wonder if it would be better to put the cup down so that edges will be held down with the screws. I was considering vinyl deck boards since mine will be around the pool area so the cupping issue probably does not come into play.
              James

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I put trex on my outdoor deck 5 or more years ago. It doesn't cup. I just face screwed it and I think it looks fine. The composite material contracts around the screw head some to partially hide it. You could edge screw it too, I suppose. Kreg is a pretty good brand.

Jim

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Still $40 here in Montgomery, AL. Picked up a kit anyway. Didn't want to miss out on getting it at all.
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...