• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodwerker
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005

Remember When?

Remember when this forum was hopin?
    We used to have 2 pages a day with deals.. Those were the days.
    Seems like it all stoped overnight. As soon as the recesion hit the deals stopped dead.
    I hope one day it comes back in some form. I miss those Amazon packages and tool gloats
    Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)
  • KC7CN
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • Deltona, Florida
    • PowerMatic 64A

Sadly, I do remember! One would think there would be more deals and intensives to place orders. I've notice Rockler is trying hard - some decent sales and a lot of free shipping; that always motivates me!

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Even Harbor Freight seems to not have deals like they used to. The best deals/gloats are now coming from from individual transactions when someone happens to score a deal.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Eagan
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • bloomington, IN
        • rigid r4512

Remember when Tool Companies competed?

Now many of them are owned by one or two parent companies. There aren't many more options left - been shopping for a Delta tool lately?

Hope you got bargains when they cleaned out their inventories.

Paul

Comment

• jhgrady
          Established Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Alexandria, Va, USA.

I stopped posting after I posted about a deal on Corel Draw and got hammered. Not worth the grief.

John

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I for one don't miss the almost daily bombardment of craigslist links. Some will say they appreciate them but if you like them so much then you should be cruising craigslist on a daily basis anyways.

Bargain Alerts Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

A lot if not most of the deals have all stopped primarly because the folks that were in manufacturing have slowed production/reorganized/downsized to remain competitive in the current marketplace. Those deals from yrs back(I know I miss them when they were unloading old inventory at ridiculous prices($137 for a DW735,Delta Bandsaw for $150, etc) are gone with the exception of models that they are phasing out for possible newer lines(Ryobi's seems to be dumping now)instead of manufacturing better products. This will change as the marketplace improves and newer solutions and better tools are implemented. But just for a moment think about it. What else can be done to these types of tools other than some fine tuning to make them better, very little without significant increase in cost which we as consumers are not in a position to bear right now. I consider myself fortunate that it ocurred while as some may recall I was unable to work. HD,Lowes kept me and my family able to survive as I took advantage of a ton of those deals ,made large purchase's of them and resold for profit to survive my injury and inability to work for a while.I sat down recently and went thru old receipts and found I had purchased well over $4K in tools that I have 3 of still. My R4511, My Ridgid Jointer and my Delta Bandsaw, they did not cost the remainder of that 4K and I know I resold all at a profit to stay afloat, but those days are gone I'm afraid my friends, technology has made enough advances to remove folks from the job market and allow robotics to come into play that we'll never see those deals again until they begin manufacturing new lines of tools, in reality there's very little you can do to a bandsaw or planer or tablesaw that hasn't been done other than safety devices. Is newer better? I don't know, but I do have a ton of new tools that I saved a bundle on that will hopefully last me a while. Deals tho, I think we have seen their heyday for a while I'm afaid
              Last edited by tommyt654; 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...