X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Tried this 1 yet

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-C...parator/T23831 , Pretty good price for a small seperator to use on a shop vac. Don't know how long it will stay at that price seeing as Peachtree sells the same model for almost twice as much. http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustacces.htm#399 , Anyone here tried it yet. I know Cochesuga has a different style he like's that works well, has anyone tried this style yet, If not guess I'll guinea pig it.
    Last edited by tommyt654; 01-13-2012, 06:29 PM.
  • duncsuss
    Established Member
    • Oct 2009

I've got a similar style one for a regular dust collector (4" hoses), sits on a steel trash can.

It catches a lot more shavings and stuff than it lets through to the dust collector -- maybe as much as 90%. I've emptied the trash barrel 3 times; it let about 12" depth of shavings through to the clear bag on the collector when I forgot to empty the can, but otherwise very little.

I do plan to make a Thien baffle, but till then this is way better than nothing.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

I have the 1 your talkin about,like this , http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...clone-Lid.aspx , but I got mine from P-Tree instead as they had free shippin and 10% off right at new yrs. Just a larger version of the one above. Hopefully I can get P-tree to p/m Grizz and cut the shippin cost down or just go p/u if I go that way next week, which I might just have to anyways, Mine works great with the HFDC I got for x-mas

Comment

• duncsuss
        Established Member
        • Oct 2009

Yup, that's the one.

I use it with a ShopFox DC (bought from Amazon one time they had it as the special of the day.)

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Haven't tried that style, but I may since I'm moving up to a bigger separator. You could have mine, but I don't know when I'll get around to making my lid. I'm hoping to pick up the fiber barrel this week or next.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

I was lookin for a fiber barrel on CL but couldn't find any in 30 gal size so I just bought a steel one from HD with a HF coupon for $17

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I put a Oneida dust deputy - real cyclone but small and plastic - on my shop vac. I paid $40 for it which is a lot for a hunk of plastic but it works great. My Rigid shop vac is only a 6 gallon so it filled up fast. It has a HEPA filter but that got clogged too. With the cyclone, the shop vac stays empty and the 5 gallon bucket under the cyclone fills up. It makes my cheap Rigid shop vac work as well as the $400 Bosch shelf cleaning vacumn. Viewed that way, maybe $40 isn't so bad. It isn't pretty but I have no filter bags to buy or empty, I just dump the bucket. The cyclone even seems to get the vast majority of fine dust off a sander.

Jim

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

A guy on WWT told me about this place in Mableton.

Said for $20, he got one with a lid. Hopefully it's true.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

Thanks Chris, I may keep them in mind for a larger barrel later on. Jim I looked at the Oneida's as well, but I'm a tightwad so I sprung for the cheaper route and just hope I'm getting the same results later on. The one I have hooked up to the HFDC works great tho and I found a link over at lumberjocks on hotrodding it that I used a clear seethru plastic plant driptray that I mounted inside the HFDC that keeps almost all of the fines down in the plastic bag. So far very little if anything has made its way upstairs to the 5 micron bag. I'm hoping this will keep it clean enough to avoid going the canister route and so far I have seen no lack of suction with the change other than the fines and larger dust now stays in the clear bag more so than going into the upper bag. But I;m knda in between projects right now so not a ton of woodworking going on at the house + we are gettin another dog in the next week so I'm havin to make allowances to fix some fence and build a bowl tray for her when she gets here.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Can anyone offer any experience with how effective those prefab separators are? Does anyone know how effective they are relative to the Dust Deputy?

I have been wanting to build a Thien separator, but now realize I just don't have the time to build that and all the other stuff I want to. My time is limited, so I have resolved to buying stuff I previously never would have that I could build myself.

I like the simple bucket seperator because it's cheap and doesn't take up much space (I am very limited on space for this) but it looks like the DD might be more effective. I have heard the seperators don't seal well on top of buckets.
                    Joe

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

Joey, Chris(Cochesuga) did a write up on his here , http://www.routerforums.com/shop-saf...tor-small.html , that should answer your question. I only have the larger unit attached to a 30 steel garbage can and it seals just fine, Chris had the other unit sold by Rockler & Peachtree

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

I'm not sure how the ducts (horns) on my lid propogate the separation, but it does do a good job.

I bought a 20-gallon Brute can with pretty sturdy sidewalls to see if it could work as a separator with a custom lid. I bought it due to it's height, and if it doesn't work I am in need of a trash can anyway.

Since I got a $10 gift card from Rockler, I'll head down there this week and look for the proper fittings for the lid.

Comment

• os1kne
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Atlanta, GA
                          • BT3100

Here's a link to a post that I made about improving the 5 gal. bucket separator lids a while back.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Good luck!
                          Bill

Comment

Working...