• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Peachtree's Black Friday sale

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_112211.htm

Only thing I'm considering is the 24pc router bit set, to replace my 1/4" shank HF set. If someone knows of a better deal for bits, I'm willing to listen.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Anything would be better than what you have now.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Very helpful.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

You're welcome, anytime.

Comment

• duncsuss
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009

I don't know if this is a better deal, that really depends on which bits you actually need and which ones would just sit in the box looking pretty.

MLCS has a 15 piece set for $40 ... LINK -- if it has all the bits you need, it's a better deal.

(MLCS has free shipping, btw. Not sure if Peachtree charges.)

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by duncsuss
            I don't know if this is a better deal, that really depends on which bits you actually need and which ones would just sit in the box looking pretty.

MLCS has a 15 piece set for $40 ... LINK -- if it has all the bits you need, it's a better deal.

Thanks. Not sure which direction I am going to go in. My HF bits have done an admirable job, so I'm not adverse to going import again. I hear Whiteside is the best, but I'm hesitant to spend that kind of dime.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Personally I wouldn't spend alot of money on the large sets. You'll find you don't use many of them enough (if at all). I ended up buying a cheap set (don't remember what brand) and figured out which bits I use the most and got Whiteside, CMT, or Infinity replacements for those specific bits.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Anyone have any info about the Stone Mountain chisels? The larger set has a few tools that I'd definitely like to have, like the oval skew, the roughing gouge, and the fingernail gouge... I don't really want to spend the $$ now, but that might be worth it...

Comment

• mrhans
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Chicago, Illinois 60640

Nothing wrong with getting one of those big sets. I think they're worthwhile for figuring out which bit you do need. Here's what I mean: I use the cheapie bits when I'm trying to copy some existing molding or when a client has given me something to duplicate. If I only need a few feet, one of the cheapie bits will work just fine. If I need more lineal feet I usually take the bit with me to the lumberyard or big box and get a dupe in better quality. If I have some time between when I figure out the right bit and when I have to have it, I'll generally order it from Amazon.com. The cheap bits definitely have they're place and can be very useful. Just dont expect them to perform like a Freud, Whiteside, CMT etc... and you'll be ok.

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Bought the small MLCS 15 pce kit mentioned beforehand over a decade ago and can honestly say that there is still the gummy factory coating on some of the bits. Your mileage may vary...
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by duncsuss

I was going to suggest this deal too. Very good bits, good price, good service, free s/h.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

When I moved from 1/4" as primary use to 1/2", I bought more than a couple of dozen or so over 5 or 6 years and then found a set that looked like the Woodline 66 piece set for about $60.00 about 7 years ago.

Click here to see. This set is currently out of stock and is almost three times the price I paid back then. If I had the $160 today and did not have the set, I would certainly buy it. I do have some Whiteside as well as other great brands on specialty bits, but as a starter and fill in, this is a great set.

The reason (for me) is that even though a large set like this may have bits that I don't use often, It has several sets of those that I DO use that do not come in smaller packages: Round Over, Cove, Camfer sets, (Always useful), not to mention core box, round nose, Ogees, straights, mortising, rabbeting and v-groove.

Sets are so-so for me in general, but I certainly filled in a large gap in purchasing this set after moving from 1/4 to 1/2 routers. As a background, I still have a couple of 1/4 carbide bits from the '70s, so I have been collecting and using routers and router bits for a while.

Here are two other large sets available on Amazon:
                        80 piece set here
                        50 piece set here

These China made bit sets are NOT Whitesides for sure, and if I were using my bits for money making purposes 5 days a week, I would buy individual bits. However, I have made some great pieces of work using the bits in the sets that I have purchased. The difference in the cheaper bits and expensive one by one purchase bits is most often in how well they stand up in continuous use - continuous feeding for an hour at a time as in a cabinet shop.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodinville guy
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Cedar Park, TX

I ended up picking up the 1/2" and 3/8" spiral bits for mortising, just in case....Now I need to build that mortising jig I've been meaning to build.

For xmas my wife is buying me the mega bit set from MLCS, it makes it easy for her to buy and by the time you add up the prices for round overs, dovetail, camfers, and dado bits the other bits are basically free.
                          - Dave

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by woodinville guy
                            I ended up picking up the 1/2" and 3/8" spiral bits for mortising, just in case....Now I need to build that mortising jig I've been meaning to build.

For xmas my wife is buying me the mega bit set from MLCS, it makes it easy for her to buy and by the time you add up the prices for round overs, dovetail, camfers, and dado bits the other bits are basically free.
                            SHE IS A KEEPER! The sets for round overs, campers, coves and dados make it the large sets well worth it to me. Congratulations!
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Wanted to thank you for the advice given, gave me something to think about. I liked the idea of a set because it got me 'in case' bits for very cheap. I ended up buying the SM set because I had previously bought a dovetail and a cabinet set from them previously. With being able to pick it up, I thought it was a deal.

Comment

Working...