X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Ga. folks needing a RAS

This looks interesting for a rebuild and the price just might be right, Hard to tell what model, but everyone seems to like these older units, http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/2698643975.html
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Now there's a project!

I think you'd need to take a good look and see how bad the corrosion is on this; whether there's a lot of pitting, arm or carriage is frozen in place or does not move smoothly.

I'm not of this older model, but I've noticed on some DeWalt's that I've seen the carriage rails on the arm are an integral part of the casting and not separate components as on my 73', Emerson-made, Craftsman. If that is the case and they are seriously pitted, you may never be happy with the "pull".

Personally, I think that price is a bit high, considering the much "better condition" RAS units that I've seen. But, much depends on your location of course and the number or RAS that may appear on the market there. (Here in NY's southern tier, they do occasionally show themselves at garage sales, etc... and can be found in fairly nice shape between $70 to $150.... but, I really haven't looked in a couple of years now.)

Good luck and I hope you find it to your liking,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Agreed, it is a project for someone else tho as I already have mine. However I have seen a lot of this style that folks say is one of the better RAS available compared to other newer and older models and style. Here's a pic of mine as bought for $75
      Last edited by tommyt654; 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
        Agreed, it is a project for someone else tho as I already have mine. However I have seen a lot of this style that folks say is one of the better RAS available compared to other newer and older models and style. Here's a pic of mine as bought for $75
        That's a nice old saw...one of them SUV models. I've gone through several 10" RAS's, bought between $75-$125. I was always planning to keep one to make into a radial arm router. But, time went on...I stayed busy and it didn't happen. I've always kept one set up just for 90 degree cuts.

My best deal was an old 14" Atlas that I got for $200. What a beast.

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

Thats a steal for a 1 1/2 hp round top.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I think from the pictures and description that, that is the GWI model, which is THE wanted model (considered the best homeowner model).

That is a buy.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...