• Show
Clear All
  • TCOTTLE
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Greenbush Maine
    • Ryobi BT3000

Kreg Toolboxx alternative.

Here is an alternative if you don't need the screws, and don't want to pay the shipping. It is empty, but about $30.00 cheaper. I am not sure how many screws 30.00 gets you, but I actually prefer McFeely's. I wanted the toolboxx iteslf, and stumbled across this.
    Husky Toolboxx
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Sears has a version as well, that I am pretty sure, is made by (or in the same line as) Keter.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Well, looking at both Menards and Rockler, it looks like there's roughly $35 worth of screws in the Kreg toolbox.

Only think I don't like about the Husky one is that it's deeper, which is unecessary for what you need to keep with the Kreg system...

I'm tempted on this one, though you could say that with the Kreg option you may not need the srews they're giving you. I think if the Husky was shorter, I'd consider it more seriously.

But I do use the Kreg system a lot with home rennovation/ carpentry tasks, so an all-in-one storage solution would be nice...

Comment

• avbclark
        • Jul 2006
        • Cottonwood Heights, UT
        • BT3100 and BT3000

A Kreg Project Plan

http://www.kregtool.com/images/icons...age%20unit.pdf

What about making your own storage? Hsve not gotten to it yet, but someday.

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

I bought a few Stanley organizers at Menard's for around $7 and used one for my Kreg screws:

Comment

• annunaki
            • Jan 2008
            • White Springs, Florida
            • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Overlooked Kreg Legs

If you view the Kreg video of their "toolboxx" you will see one of the two blue legs that support the screw laden top when opened, to prevent tipping and spilling.

The Husky box doesn't have them and I doubt the others do either.

I called Kreg to verify what I saw and believed to be a blue leg and was informed that I was correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by annunaki
              If you view the Kreg video of their "toolboxx" you will see one of the two blue legs that support the screw laden top when opened, to prevent tipping and spilling.

The Husky box doesn't have them and I doubt the others do either.

I called Kreg to verify what I saw and believed to be a blue leg and was informed that I was correct.

The Keters have them, and so does Sears 18" model. Model# 17186819
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Chris_B
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                Only thing I don't like about the Husky one is that it's deeper, which is unnecessary for what you need to keep with the Kreg system...
                Originally posted by annunaki
                The Husky box doesn't have them [the blue legs] and I doubt the others do either.
                Keter manufactures three similar models. All have legs, but only the Kreg version comes with *blue* legs.

1) 22.3" x 12.4" x 9.6" (with bins in the top shelf only) Link

2) 22.5" x 12" x 6.6" (with bins in top & bottom shelves) Link

3) 18" x 5.7" x 9.4" (with bins in top & bottom shelves) Link

Some stores carry the Keter branded models, but most re-sell them under other brand names. In all cases the cantilever design is exactly the same, and they are all manufactured in Israel.

Home Depot sells gray/black versions of #1 & #2
                Link
                Link

Lowes sells a gray/black version of #3
                Link

Kreg offers a blue/gray version of #2, either as a "complete" set with jigs & clamps, or only with screws. These are both currently only sold through resellers like WoodCraft or Rockler.
                Link
                Link

FWIW, I own the Husky-branded version of #2 that I use for my Kreg screws and clamps. It works great for me. I removed about 2/3rds of the bins in the bottom compartment to make room for clamps, but the remaining large bins hold a lot of screws. The compact case fits nicely in my cabinets.
                Last edited by Chris_B; 11-14-2011, 08:09 PM. Reason: Added images

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

I keep the jig, drill and driver plus the common screws in a clear plastic storage container. All the odd screws in another container. I tend to use one size for most of what I do and just use them out of the box they come in. It works for me.

I keep the containers on a shelf with the others that hold the tools that have lots of parts with them, like the multifunction tool, a die grinder and the like. Being clear I know what's in them and they only cost between a $1 and $2.50. It's a handy way for me to organize and store and the containers are small enough to work out of without them being in the way. They do however break when I drop the one holding all the screws

Bill

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

How about this box....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1321286546004

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Chris_B
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by jussi
                      That is a Sears Craftsman branded version of item #3 in my previous post:
                      Originally posted by Chris_B
                      3) 18" x 5.7" x 9.4" (with bins in top & bottom shelves) Link

Comment

• cansofspam
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2012

Don't know if anyone is still shopping for this, but I noticed that my local home depot has dropped the price on the one like the kreg. It is now just $20!

Comment

Working...