• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

adventures with a coupon!

So, I recently found out that there are 3 PRINT HF coupons in the back of my Entertainment book (used to be called the Happenings book, I think).

I already used one on a Makita L-Ion cordless kit, honored by HD no problem.

I then wanted to pick up a large tool chest from HF for my new shop. I ask for them to get the cabinet, and I'm at the register ready to pay for it when I point out the coupon. He then points to a laminated sheet taped to the counter listed all sorts of exclusions to the coupon- one of which is tool chests! The only exclusion on the coupon is no Campbell Hausfeld products, and THAT's IT. I thought additional exclusions need to be listed, or at least noted "Additional exclusions apply".

HF isn't super close, so I had to drive a bit to get there, and with my brother's gas-eating car. To make the trip there and then have that self-rightously shoved in my face, was really BS I thought.

So, I take the coupon to Menards, where their MasterCraft chests are decent and at least reasonably priced (Lowe's and HD's chests are too $$). I ended up looking at the 40" model, which was smaller than the one I wanted but it's much less than $400 (the HF cost w/o the coupon). Before I did anything, I brought the coupon to the cust service desk to make sure the coupon would be accepted. The person radio'd the manager, who OK'd it.

The Menards guy got the chest from overhead stock, and I took it to the register. Then, the CS person said that the manager said they couldn't accept the coupon. Then, she said they could, but can only sell the chest for $287, which is pretty darn close to 20% anyways! They play around with the system for a bit, using mutliple discounts to get to $290 for the chest. At that point, I wasn't going to quibble over $3...

What a pain! First, HF wouldn't take their own coupon for an item that's not excluded on the coupon, then Menards says they'll honor it, then they won't, and then they will, but only kinda- and even when they try to do that they're a bit higher than they said they would charge....

The most enervating experience I've had in a long while.

I thought coupons HAD to list exclusions?
  • fgarvin
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2009

Like price matching, using coupons all is dependent on mood, the weather and time of day of the manager.

It is very frustrating, especially at Home Depot and Best Buy. Even though it is their policy, they can make exceptions according to the above.

I am at the point where I refuse to shop Best Buy now. Home Depot, I still give the benefit of the doubt every now and then. They've gained points back from the Worksharp fiasco.

Comment

• buckeye95
      Established Member
      • May 2003
      • Columbus, Ohio.
      • Ridgid TS2400

I was buying something there the other day and dutifully laid out my free flashlight coupon. The cashier graciously showed me the fine print where the free flashlight now reuires a minimum $19.99 purchase.

Pete

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
        I thought coupons HAD to list exclusions?
        No, they can post an update, correction, or change in store - which is sounds like they did.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...