• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Dale, thanks for that. Since I've not closely examined either brands offerings I'm just basing my reaction on gut feelings. Yours seem to be factual based. Rapidair IMHO would have been better served by showing a side by side comparison or publishing testing data. Marketing claims without supporting evidence are always suspect to me and that's what I'm saying.

With all items HF sells it should be buyer beware. Members here with first hand experience with any HF items are always encouraged to share those experiences.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• gnal41
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2009
      • central Indiana
      • bt3000

Harbor Freight compressed air plumbing system $60

Have the HF air garage system and it has been in use about a year. A drop was added using parts from Rapid-Air. I checked with Graingers and they carried the needed parts for the additional drop and they were individually less expensive, but they are sold several to a package and it was cheaper to buy from Rapid-Air + shipping. I did not check any place other than Rapid-Air and Graingers. I do believe the Rapid-Air tubing connectors are somewhat better, but the HF connectors are find for casual home use.

I ended up with four drops and counting all of the connection points (valve, tubing connectors, quick disconnects, filter, hose reel, etc.) the total possible air leaks points is in excess of 130. With the main tank valve on and the system not in use the elapsed time between starts is 3 hrs. 40 min. I believe there are a couple of mixed automotive/industrial quick disconnects and when/if fixed should help a little.

I use the shop air for general uses and also for a sandblaster, impact wrench, sander and the volume is there for home use. The price of the system was $100 ($80 with coupon) about a year ago and now that the price is approx. $60 without discount it seems a good buy. As a home hobby guy, I am well satisfied with the HF system and would do it again.
      Attached Files

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Here's a thought- do you think the better placement for the outlets would be the wall behind/ above a bench, or in the bench itself? I have a wall that has a bench about 18' long. The wall behind is drywalled, but I'm thinking I'll mostly have storage haning from it. I can see why having the outlet on the front of the bench around hip level would be good, since the hose wouldn't be draping over the bench itself. However, I could also see how that might get in the way...

Comment

• dewi1219
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by gnal41
          Have the HF air garage system and it has been in use about a year. A drop was added using parts from Rapid-Air. I checked with Graingers and they carried the needed parts for the additional drop and they were individually less expensive, but they are sold several to a package and it was cheaper to buy from Rapid-Air + shipping. I did not check any place other than Rapid-Air and Graingers. I do believe the Rapid-Air tubing connectors are somewhat better, but the HF connectors are find for casual home use.

I ended up with four drops and counting all of the connection points (valve, tubing connectors, quick disconnects, filter, hose reel, etc.) the total possible air leaks points is in excess of 130. With the main tank valve on and the system not in use the elapsed time between starts is 3 hrs. 40 min. I believe there are a couple of mixed automotive/industrial quick disconnects and when/if fixed should help a little.

I use the shop air for general uses and also for a sandblaster, impact wrench, sander and the volume is there for home use. The price of the system was $100 ($80 with coupon) about a year ago and now that the price is approx. $60 without discount it seems a good buy. As a home hobby guy, I am well satisfied with the HF system and would do it again.
          gnal41,
          That is an impressive setup you have. You obviously have more experience with this kit than anyone else here, so I have a couple questions:
          1) Do you think the size of the line is sufficient for use of a DA sander or HVLP gun? In your post it seems that the answer is yes.
          2) Just wondering why you went with galvanized pipe for your drops instead of the nylon line all the way? Thanks.

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by dewi1219
            Dale,
            When you say you've experienced leaks with the HF fittings, do you mean those included with the air line kit mentioned above or other fittings like the standard quick disconnects, etc.? I read quite a few reviews on the air line kit before it was removed from the HF website, and they all seemed to indicate that leaks were not a problem. I am wondering because I was planning on buying the system today and I have two concerns with it: 1) leaks, and 2) the size of the line being sufficient to support higher volume tools like a DA sander or HVLP gun (automotive type).

I would like to use galvanized pipe myself, but I have concerns about it leaking as well. I figured for $59, there wasn't much to lose with the HF kit.
            I haven't had any trouble with the galvanized pipe leaking. You do need to follow standard plumbing procedures and dope or teflon tape the threaded connections. I can leave the air on for days and the compressor won't kick on though it is a 60 gal tank.
            I think as long as your compressor can supply enough CFM at the pressure you use the DA or HVLP on you should be okay. I added about 60 feet of 3/4 pipe with another 20 feet of drops and it did reduce the duty cycle.
            Hope this helps,
            Dale
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              Dale, thanks for that. Since I've not closely examined either brands offerings I'm just basing my reaction on gut feelings. Yours seem to be factual based. Rapidair IMHO would have been better served by showing a side by side comparison or publishing testing data. Marketing claims without supporting evidence are always suspect to me and that's what I'm saying.

With all items HF sells it should be buyer beware. Members here with first hand experience with any HF items are always encouraged to share those experiences.
              I probably use my stuff more than most, it's my day job so that may be why I went to commercial fittings. Plus, I don't like leaks, part of my job is chasing leaks on player pianos and I get enough of that I would rather not chase them in the shop. A side effect of my job is low tolerance for noise and that's another peeve. Finally, I'm running 175PSI and that may have some effect.
              I'm glad the other members have had good success with the HF system and fittings. It just wasn't my experience.
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by wardprobst
                Finally, I'm running 175PSI and that may have some effect.
                You may want to check the specs on the fittings you are using - 175 psi is pretty high pressure, and exceeds the specs of many if not all quick-disconnect fittings, which are usually designed for the 90 psi working pressure of air tools. If they aren't rated for the pressure, they can weaken over time and fail catastophically.

If you were using the HF fittings at 175 psi, it's no wonder you had leaks, and perhaps a wonder you had no explosions.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
                  There are two types of quick disconnect fittings, and HF sells both. They are VERY similar in appearance. If the "industrial" and "automotive" fittings are mixed, they can leak.
                  The "industrial" and "automotive" fittings can't be mixed as the lengths of the fitting M/F are longer on the "automotive". The exterior casings on the "industrial" have two recessed bands in the knurling versus one band on the "automotive", which is further identification.

Comment

• gnal41
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • central Indiana
                    • bt3000

Originally posted by dewi1219
                    gnal41,
                    1) Do you think the size of the line is sufficient for use of a DA sander or HVLP gun? In your post it seems that the answer is yes.
                    2) Just wondering why you went with galvanized pipe for your drops instead of the nylon line all the way? Thanks.
                    dewi1219 - wardprobst's reply about the system results being satisfactory if the compressor will supply the CFM the DA and HVLP requires is right on. The HF system is rated for a maximum of 150 PSI.

The galvanized pipe I used in one of the drops is a section of an air system I had at our previous home that was all galvanized. The shown galvanized section was used intact from the old place and I just used it as it was. Here again, I agree with wardprobst that a galvanized system would be less leak prone. I thought about all galvanized at our present home, but the price of the HF system helped make the choice.

Comment

• wardprobst
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by woodturner
                      You may want to check the specs on the fittings you are using - 175 psi is pretty high pressure, and exceeds the specs of many if not all quick-disconnect fittings, which are usually designed for the 90 psi working pressure of air tools. If they aren't rated for the pressure, they can weaken over time and fail catastophically.

If you were using the HF fittings at 175 psi, it's no wonder you had leaks, and perhaps a wonder you had no explosions.
                      You're right, typo on my part it's 140PSI. Most of the drops are regulated to 90PSI, the one that isn't is a permanent connection. Thanks for the correction.
                      Dale
                      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• gnal41
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • central Indiana
                        • bt3000

Originally posted by gnal41
                        The galvanized pipe I used in one of the drops is a section of an air system I had at our previous home that was all galvanized. The shown galvanized section was used intact from the old place and I just used it as it was. Here again, I agree with wardprobst that a galvanized system would be less leak prone. I thought about all galvanized at our present home, but the price of the HF system helped make the choice.
                        CORRECTION!

I did not use galvanized pipe - sorry about the above info! Regular black plumbing pipe was used and was painted with some left over silver paint to help stop rust. Again, sorry about the mis-info - another senior moment on this end!!!

Comment

• cybrshrk
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2005
                          • New Jersey, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Was at my local HF yesterday and they had two in stock...at $79.99.
                          Rob, aka CyBrShRk

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either...

Comment

• Woodwerker
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by cybrshrk
                            Was at my local HF yesterday and they had two in stock...at $79.99.
                            They were marked $79.99 at my local store today but when I was checking out the price rung up $59.99 before 20% off... $48!!!
                            I bought the last set that was in Plymouth Meeting PA. No more left said the sales associate..
                            Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

An OT but related question- I'm have a portable HF compressor different, but similar to this one:
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-67708.html

I want to hook this up tot he air system, so it can power my shop air, but be able to be removed if I need something bigger than my old PC pancake compressor at a worksite.

What I'm thinking of doing is mounting the ports to the bront of the stationary bench I have in the shop, and then building a box that the compressor would be inside. That way, it'd help cut down on the noise when it's running.

If I cut open a hole for ventilation, do you think the compressor will be ok? Or would the enclosure choke the compressor or make it overheat? I'm also thinking an additional step of adhering some bat insultation on the inside would further dampen the noise.

Thanks,
                              Travis

Comment

• dewi1219
                                Established Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Birmingham, AL

I bought mine today - with a 20% coupon I got it for $48.

Comment

Working...