• annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida
    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Could be used in the Shop

Got one of these for between the washer & dryer at Big Lots-
    Whirpool MVP8600TW Laundry 1-2-3 Storage Tower
    http://www.amazon.com/Whirpool-MVP86...5800680&sr=8-5

Amazon sells them for $299.00 (the weight listed is wrong they are over 110#'s)
    Heavy, strong, steel,adjustable legs, with three drawers- two are very tall.

They could be used in the shop as floor cabinets or use two with a top for a work bench.
    Here's the kicker- Big Lots has them for $50.00 but I got mine for $40.00 with a 20% off entire order from this site-

* 20% Off (1/22 - 1/30) Starts on 1/22, 20% of coupon (PDF) 20% off coupon (JPEG) [Printable Coupon]
    View Big Lots coupon

http://dealspl.us/biglots-coupons (Use the PDF choice)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif
  • annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida

Got two more

I went back and got two more for my shop.
    For the price, if someone were building a shop $400 +tax would buy you 10 of these. put against a wall that would give you close to 20 feet of base cabinets with 30 drawers all made out of steel (at 110 lbs each cabinet, not "tinny"), with adjustable legs.

Last edited by annunaki; 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they have a few at my local store.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• annunaki
        • Jan 2008
        • White Springs, Florida

Decided to take the plunge and get two more today.

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

I picked up 3 today at my local store, hope to get them installed and post some pics by the weekend.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• annunaki
            • Jan 2008
            • White Springs, Florida

Rainy Day Today

So I put one white one upstairs btw washer & dryer, and four black ones in the shop. Had two local muscle guys do the grunt work since both locations involved stairs. These are very well made with ball bearing drawer slides and steel as heavy gauge as the W&D. Used as a workbench base, a pair equal 220 lbs, while as a quad 440 lbs, either way very sturdy. I can fit my Bosch saber saw kit/case as well as other tool cases in these tall drawers.

Comment

• billfrommich
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007

I bought some myself to serve as bases for a utility bench. A used solid-core door on top of 2 of these bases should make a cheap yet sturdy and functional bench.

Comment

• annunaki
                • Jan 2008
                • White Springs, Florida

Since they have very sturdy leveling legs, I think they could be swapped out for locking casters if needed.

Comment

• bigstick509
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Macomb, MI, USA.
                  • BT3100

I had some spare time today so I got the storage towers installed. It took some extra time to level because of the slope of the concrete in the shop/garage.

Mike

Comment

• annunaki
                    • Jan 2008
                    • White Springs, Florida

They look good, and at 330 lbs, will support a lot on top.

Comment

• billfrommich
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2007

To make it easier to get the storage towers down the stairs to my basement, I removed the 2 larger drawers, that are about 9 pounds each. The drawer slides do not seem to have any kind of quick release mechanism - instead, I removed the 2 screws that are on the slides (immediately behind the drawer front), after which the drawer can be removed by pulling it slightly forward, then lifting up. I also discovered that there is a 25+ pound plate of metal (steel?) bolted to the bottom, probably to serve as a counterweight to reduce the chances of tipping when the drawers are extended. With the plate and large drawers removed, the tower was a much more manageable 60 pounds or so. While the towers were apart I had a closer look at the construction and I can confirm the fact that they are well made - the materials and construction seem on par with some Craftsman Ball Bearing tool cabinets I also have. The included levelers appear to have 3/8-16 threads, and could be easily replaced with threaded stem casters.
                      Last edited by billfrommich; 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM. Reason: corrected punctuation

Comment

• 10sCoachRick
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Austin, TX

The one on display at our local B-L had a nifty magnetic shelf attached. I've seen no mention of this shelf. The staff at B-L doesn't seem all that helpful, so I didn't try to find one of them to ask.

This could come in handy in the laundry room. DW hates tip-toeing to reach the cabinets above the W/D. The cabs were installed with pedestals under the W/D in mind, I reckon...top shelf is almost useless.

Comment

• billfrommich
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2007

According to the product manual, the magnetic shelf is not a shelf at all, but rather a "back-splash" type of thing that sits on the top rear of the tower. Its purpose I suppose is to match the back-splashes (on which the controls are located) on the washer and dryer. Unlike the actual magnetic shelves sold by Rockler, etc., the magnets are barely strong enough to hold it to the side of the tower - I wouldn't trust them to hold much weight at all.

Comment

• annunaki
                            • Jan 2008
                            • White Springs, Florida

Clarification on those attachments

They are in a box inside one of the drawers.
                            They are magnetic-nominal.
                            They include two plastic clips plus 2 extra screws.
                            They say to unscrew the two back screws- right and left on the rear of the unit, install the clips to both, and snap into place the "compartment" which would be OK for odds and ends that you might not want to slide off the back end. Since I now own 5 of these units, I am contemplating another application for 5 of these.
                            Last edited by annunaki; 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...