• Show
Clear All
  • gfc62
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2008
    • Washington, DC
    • BT3K, Delta Contractor

Originally posted by djkert
    Does anyone use this as a router table? I am wondering if you can drill new holes in the skil router attachment to custom fit a router or has anyone used an aftermarket plate that fit in the router plate area?
    I'm curious about this as well. One review I read on Amazon for the router insert was pretty negative, apparently the fence isn't well thought out, attaching it is a hassle that takes away from the 'drop in' simplicity of the insert. The router insert comes bundled with fence and featherboard and is pretty expensive, you might want to just make one yourself out of polycarbonate and build a better designed fence. You might be able to start with the jigsaw insert (which is cheaper) but the review I read of that said it was pretty flimsy plastic.

Is anyone out there using the router insert?

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I don't have one yet, but from what I have looked into, most of the accessories are not worth it. I am interested in the tail vice, though. I don't have a tail vice, and I won't do any planning on it.

Does anyone have the tail vice accessory? It would be nice if one showed up at BL at a reduced price.

Tomorrow's my B-Day, and I have my fingers crossed my "hints" worked .
      Joe

Comment

• unknown poster
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006

If you are considering building a router insert be sure to measure the cut out in your table. My cut out is slanted, it is deeper near the latch (~ .225") and shallower near the hold down (~ .175"). Sure you could re-cut the hole so it is even, but the top is only 1/2" so the remaining material is going to be pretty thin.

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

LOML did get one for me . I am very happy with it for the limited time I have used it. I was not expecting a massive deluxe Swedish work bench, but I am pleasantly surprised with how solid it is.
          Joe

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by djkert
            Does anyone use this as a router table? I am wondering if you can drill new holes in the skil router attachment to custom fit a router or has anyone used an aftermarket plate that fit in the router plate area?
            I would not recommend using this as a router table, at least not without additional support. The 1/2" MDF top wouldn't provide enough support without some reinforcement.

That being said, I have a HF router table insert that almost fit the opening. Some very minor modifications on the plate (trimming a little and thinning the lip so it fits flush) would probably get it to fit fairly nicely.
            Joe

Comment

Working...