• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris_B
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Cupertino, CA

All Woodcraft casters 30% off through 11/24

If you get the WoodCraft promotion emails, this is old news.
    Free shipping for >$25.

IMO, these are - by far - the best casters available. I've been waiting for these to go on sale so I can "save" money.

See: link
  • skamath
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • san diego, ca
    • BT3100, 22124

Which size is the best choice? Thanks.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that deal. I knew I needed to stop by Woodcraft, but I couldn't remember what it was for.

skamath- I prefer the 3" versions. I do have a couple tall places to get over and the height helps my tools from bottoming out at the threshold to my shed. With the tight spaces I have to deal with I like using the swivel double locking ones on all 4 corners. Most shop stuff probably doesn't need more than the 3" ones.

I've used some of the 5" ones on some carts I built for moving around some dart board standards for tournaments. They have held up very well for loading up 600 lbs of tube steel stands and rolling them from the trailer into the halls.
      Erik

Comment

• fgarvin
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2009

Thanks. How do you mount this type of casters? Is the "1/2" mounting hole treaded" so I can just use a 1/2" bolt of the right threading pitch?

Hard to tell by the picture. The hole seems to be smooth to me, which is throwing me off.

Originally posted by Chris_B
        IMO, these are - by far - the best casters available.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Some have threaded spindles http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...d-Spindle.aspx

Some have 1/2" holes (don't know how these mount) http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...px#Information

I prefer the 4 hole plates myself http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-414-Tall.aspx
          Erik

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by skamath
            Which size is the best choice? Thanks.

That is going to depend on the project. I would LOVE a MASSIVE toolchest, but it isn't in the budget (nor feasible to get it where I want). I am planning on building one, that if I ever move, I could unscrew it and pull the drawers. For mine it is going to be more about the weight rating then the size.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Chris_B
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by skamath
              Which size is the best choice?
              I use the 3" models, but all of my flooring and driveway is concrete. The larger diameter is probably better for asphalt or brickwork where you need to roll over bumps.

Originally posted by fgarvin
              How do you mount this type of casters? Is the "1/2" mounting hole treaded" so I can just use a 1/2" bolt of the right threading pitch?
              I've used the threaded 1/2" shaft, rectangular surface mount, & the 1/2" through-hole. The caster itself is identical in all cases, and the choice is just personal preference.

The 1/2" through-hole model requires a 1/2" bolt, washer & nut. Where the top is visible, I prefer to put the nut near the wheel, but this usually requires cutting the bolt to fit (otherwise it will interfere with the swivel). This makes it very easy to counter-sink the bolt head for a flush finish.

I generally prefer the through-hole, but it takes more work and cost. The rectangular plate is very easy to mount to a flat surface, but you cannot mount at the extreme corner (which must have a sharp radius to 'hide' the plate), or to a nominal 4x4 leg (the plate is too long). The through hole mounts easily to a nominal 4x4 (or smaller) leg with a lag bolt, but requires temporarily removing the wheel to thread the bolt. The model with the threaded shaft is great as long as your mounting surface is relatively thin, and the shaft is about 1.5" long.

Hopefully this all makes sense...

Comment

• Chris_B
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Cupertino, CA

BTW, here is a photo of 3" through-hole casters installed on a DC. I did not counter-sink the bolt heads, but this illustrates how having the caster close to the corner exposes the wheel lock for nearly 270 degrees. The difference is small - but noticeable - and I prefer it to my other base with rectangular mounts.

For a larger version of this photo, click here.

Comment

Working...