X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

3 Pc Hinge Drill Bit Set Self Center - $5

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

3 pcs hinge drill bit set-$5

Good price on theses bits for sure. I use the one closest to 1/4" to drill shelf pin holes in cabinet sides when making adjustable shelves...works real good too!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I have a set very similar to those, even bubble packaged the same way (Harbor Freight). If you look closely at the picture you will see that the tip has a very short 45deg bevel. It's very hard with a hand held drill for me to have it perfectly at 90 deg. If it's not then the guide puts the drill bit off center and you can't really see where it's going to drill the hole. Some time ago I had one, from I think Stanly, that had the Bevel and a small ring that was sized to fit the hole in I expect Stanly hinges. You could feel when it was right. I installed hundreds of loose pin back flap hinges with it and only do to gross negligence on my part were any of the screws off-center.

Now my problem with the current set may be indicative of the quality of the tool that I bought from HF, but I believe it's the design that leads to my problem.

I do not mean to impune the quality of HF tools or offend anyone who has the tool and likes it. Nor do I suggest that the tool the OP linked to is indeed the same as the HF tool, I offer only my opinions based on limited observations in an effort to provide information, that may indeed be erroneous, so others may make an informed decision.

Bill

ps my HF set cost about 5 bucks, wish I still had that 5 bucks

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, oh Bill....

Being dubbed #1 Douche this shall come in handy for people I offend.

This is not intended towards anyone, just a relevant and humorous link for the folks who have had a rough time here of late. Enjoy
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• tbarn
          Established Member
          • Jun 2004
          • PA, USA.
          • BT3100

I threw them in on an order I was about to place. Might as well add to the tool pile
          Not sure on the quality but for $5 I figured why not. I have one size already and as Mr_Bill said if you don't line it up just right they can be worse than not using one in the first place.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
            LOL, oh Bill....

Being dubbed #1 Douche this shall come in handy for people I offend.

This is not intended towards anyone, just a relevant and humorous link for the folks who have had a rough time here of late. Enjoy
            Thanks, love that clip!

Bill

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

He is pretty funny! His other clip on alternative life style being the new strait is also pretty funny.
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                I have a set very similar to those, even bubble packaged the same way (Harbor Freight). If you look closely at the picture you will see that the tip has a very short 45deg bevel. It's very hard with a hand held drill for me to have it perfectly at 90 deg. If it's not then the guide puts the drill bit off center and you can't really see where it's going to drill the hole. Some time ago I had one, from I think Stanly, that had the Bevel and a small ring that was sized to fit the hole in I expect Stanly hinges. You could feel when it was right. I installed hundreds of loose pin back flap hinges with it and only do to gross negligence on my part were any of the screws off-center.

Now my problem with the current set may be indicative of the quality of the tool that I bought from HF, but I believe it's the design that leads to my problem.

I do not mean to impune the quality of HF tools or offend anyone who has the tool and likes it. Nor do I suggest that the tool the OP linked to is indeed the same as the HF tool, I offer only my opinions based on limited observations in an effort to provide information, that may indeed be erroneous, so others may make an informed decision.

Bill

I have a set from Rockler and my opinion is close to the same. On larger jobs like door hinges they work ok but on smaller hinges the accuracy just isn't there.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Mr__Bill

Bill

I agree with what Bill said. IMO, with the vix type bits and also a spring loaded punch, it's very easy to have the tool slightly skewed when making a punch hole. Slightly off will make the insertion of the screw either pull the hinge out of place, or not allow the head to seat properly. For some hinge assemblies, like a piano hinge, or a butt hinge, offset heads may not allow the hinge to work properly.

I use a scratch awl and eyeball the center for punching. That gives me a more centered hole.

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is the sole opinion of it's author, who apologizes in advance if anyone is offended in any manner. By agreeing with another authors' statement, let it be known, that the agreement alone does not constitute a testimonial to any truths. The statement by no means infers that those that use a vix bit or a spring loaded punch have, or will have the propensity to execute the intended function of the tool used in a manner that may not perform as desired. There is the possibility that the tools discussed will perform as desired.

There is no intention to offend anyone in their choice of what tools to use, or their method in using the tools, or that their decision to purchase these tools are an indicator of poor judgment. Furthermore, there is no suggestion that an individual using these tools may utilize an improper procedure, or is inept at performing the the intended function of said tools. There is also no suggestion that tools and accessories that are sold at a reduced amount are inferior in any way to tools similar, of any brand, sold at their regular price.

Comment

Working...