• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Worksharp WS2000 $80 shipped from Tyler Tool

Tyler Tool has the WS2000 for $80 shipped with "030210" code at checkout.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Is the coupon code only good for the WS2000. Will it work for other Worksharp accessories? Thanks.

Comment

• thrytis
      • May 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

According to the email, it will only work on the 9 items listed in the email: http://www.tylertool.com/email.html
      Eric

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Good price, but these units are not able to put a hollow bevel on chisels, which gives the sharpest blade IMHO
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by thrytis
          According to the email, it will only work on the 9 items listed in the email: http://www.tylertool.com/email.html

Thanks, makes sense now why it wasn't working for me.

Comment

• duncsuss
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009

Is the Worksharp simpler to use correctly than a regular bench-grinder (holding the blade square and at the right angle, for instance) ?

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I picked the WS up during the whole Sear's $20 fiasco... I have now used waterstones, a bench grinder, and the WS system.

I think the WS system is fast and easy to use. I think you could definitely use it in conjunction with a grinder to produce a hollow grind and then make your cutting edge. I definitely prefer the WS system to flatten the back to waterstones, if only for the increased surface area.

Not a bad deal at all for only $85 shipped.

Comment

• Rance
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2009

Keep in mind this is the 2000 and not the 3000. I don't recall which version the Sears fiasco was.

The biggest benefit of the hollow grind is if you are using stones by hand after the wheel. It keeps you from taking all day to get the whole bevel back to flat. There is absolutely no benefit to the HG when you put the chisel to the wood. With the WS, it is sooooo easy to reach a completely flat bevel, that not having a 'hollow grind' on the bevel is irrelevant. To each his own, but I strongly recommend the WS, and I HATE sharpening.

duncsuss, The WS has a fixed guide to guarantee it keeps it straight. Go look at one locally. I think you'd be impressed.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Rance - Doesn't the hollow grind offer a sharper edge due to being thinner? (though weaker)

The Sears deal was on the WS3000.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Rance
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2009

Knottscott,

Nope, the angle determines the sharpness, and at the very edge, the angle is the same on both. (Assuming that you grind them both at the same angle)

Comment

• duncsuss
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Rance
                      ... With the WS, it is sooooo easy to reach a completely flat bevel ...

duncsuss, The WS has a fixed guide to guarantee it keeps it straight. Go look at one locally. I think you'd be impressed.
                      Thanks Rance -- ease of use (perhaps "difficulty of using it wrong" would be more accurate!) is high on my priorities. I'll take a look.

Duncan

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

OOPS! I missed that this was the 2000, not the 3000.

$85 isn't all that huge a deal, IMHO. So don't feel pressured to pick this up if you're not certain you want it. But I will that that I found my WS3000 useful, especially for turning tools.

Comment

Working...