X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vincerama
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2009

Lowes had clearance on "Polycrylic" water based poly

I've had pretty good results with this, having finished a kitchen island with it and then beating the crap out of that island for 5 years.

I was actually looking for dowels at Lowes when I stumbled onto ONE GALLON cans of polycrylic, normal price $44, clearance price ... $1.78. ONE DOLLAR AND SEVENTY EIGHT CENTS!

Now, I'm hoping it's not somehow expired or something, but I bought a few gallons of assorted poly (gloss, semi, satin). They also had spray cans of the stuff, normal price $10, on sale for ... 27 cents.

Not sure why they are clearing it, but I had pretty good results, so I spent about $8 for like $200 worth of poly. So if it's "bad" or "old" or something...well, 8 bucks.

Vince
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Considering you can't get a gallon of milk for $1.78, I'd say you did pretty well! Nice score.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Vincerama
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2009

Oh, I guess "Polycrylic" is not POLYURETHANE, but a water based ACRYLIC finish.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty tough stuff.

Vince

Comment

• sscherin
        • Dec 2003
        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

WoW.. I better Check Lowes.

I use that stuff for covering my airplanes.
        A few gallons should last me nearly forever.
        William's Law--
        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Vincerama
          Oh, I guess "Polycrylic" is not POLYURETHANE, but a water based ACRYLIC finish.

As far as I can tell, it's pretty tough stuff.

Vince
          That is one good deal. It has a very long shelf life especially if not opened. It's not an oil base polyurethane, but it is a form of waterbased polyurethane.

Comment

• Photojosh
            Established Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Washington (the state)

I'm not familiar with this stuff. But I've got a kitchen island going to be made out of cypress that I want to give a solid hard finish to. My mom has a hatch-cover coffee table that was protected with something that looks like it would have been used on a bartop in a saloon. Is this the same sort of stuff as that? Or am I missing the point?

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

I bought a gallon of this a couple weeks ago on clearance for $35, so I'd say you got a heck of a good deal. I think Minwax has changed their water based poly finish. The new stuff on the shelf is called "Oil Modified Water Based Polyurethane". The can looks a lot like their oil based polyurethane. I actually just tried this new stuff too, and I like it a lot better than the old type. It levels out real nice and dries fast like the polycrylic. It will build a heavy film coat with 3 coats so I decided to use it on my kitchen cabinets I am making. I still like shellac or oil based wipe on poly for furniture type projects, but wanted something easy and, durable that I could apply by hand for the kitchen.

Todd

Comment

• jlm
                Established Member
                • Oct 2005
                • Austin, TX

Originally posted by Photojosh
                ... something that looks like it would have been used on a bartop in a saloon. Is this the same sort of stuff as that?
                The super-hard, heavy "bar-top" finish is probably a two-part resin type coating. Much more durable than polyurethane finishes. Polycrylic isn't that kind of finish, but if you can find it for under two bucks a gallon, it's a great buy! It's a good product, pretty durable, and doesn't yellow like oil-based polys do, but it's pretty much just a plain ol' polyurethane.

Comment

• duncsuss
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2009

not happening near me

I stopped by the nearest Lowes, there were pint cans of the MinWax Polycrylic on the shelves at the regular price ($16 or thereabouts).

It didn't look like they ever stocked gallon cans of it, and nobody knew anything about a price reduction on the product. Disappointing ...

Comment

Working...