• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Milwaukee 5615-24 fixed/plunge base 11 amp router kit - $99

For those who have missed this, Tyler Tool has the Milwaukee 5615-24 fixed/plunge base 11 amp router kit for $99. (Free shipping over $99.)

They also have the Milwaukee 6577-20 7-1/4" left blade 15 amp worm drive circular saw for $99, but I can't currently get at the link (busy I assume).
    Last edited by Knottscott; 12-08-2009, 02:12 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • tseavoy
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
    • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I bought that router in September, paying about $100. It is a good value, but it has some issues:
    1. The depth adjustment is graduated in 64ths until you go a full turn, then it leaves you hanging. I checked the distance for one turn using my dial indicator and it turns out to be exactly 5mm. I know there is no such thing as exactly, so I will say extremely close instead. I'm thinking of just putting a scale in mm on the dial.
    2. The dust collector attachment does not fit.
    3. It comes in a very large case.
    4. The manual is very sparse.
    5. My old Sears router had a trigger switch, a rack and pinion depth adjustment, and a light. I gave it to a friend. Maybe I should have kept it.
    I think Milwaukee and their Chinese(?) supplier may have had a communication problem, and it may be somewhat of an engineering embarrassment.
    Other than that, it has worked well.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the heads up on the depth adjustment...never noticed that before. Is that on the plunge base or fixed base?

My DC chute is mounted and works. My motor says made in the USA, but I think the bases may be made in China.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tseavoy
        Established Member
        • May 2009
        • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
        • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

On a previous post someone said the motor is US made and the bases are made in China.
        The dial issue is on the fixed base -- I guess also on the plunge base.

Tom

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've never shopped with Tyler Tool before -- are they pretty reputable?

You all think it makes a good first router? I was thinking about picking this up for my brother...
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Alex Franke

You all think it makes a good first router? I was thinking about picking this up for my brother...
            The one time I purchased something from them the transaction went very smoothly. After they received my order, I'd say that the shipping time was about average. I certainly can't say anything negative about my experience.

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had a couple of smooth transactions from them...no issues.

It's a great hand router IMO...excellent plunger, Body Grip feature on the fixed base, very stout motor, but note that it's single speed so isn't all that condusive for table use unless you add an outboard speed control to it.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the tips, guys. I went ahead and ordered it for him. I think he'll like it.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the tips, guys. I went ahead and ordered it for him. I think he'll like it.
                  I really like mine too Alex...hard to imagine him not being happy with it. Nice gift!

One of my favorite things about the 5615 is that it's black and red like my original old Craftsman, Freud FT1700, and MW5625.....meaning my wife thinks they're all the same router.

Comment

Working...