• Show
Clear All
  • b75025
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • McKinney, TX
    • Ryobi BT3100

HARDIN AZ318-2 250W Master Oscillating Multi-Function Tool Set

Anyone with experience using this MultiMaster clone? Seems to be aimed at the pro market, and has the same specs as the Fein model. Others I've handled seem cheaply made and not very robust for extended use. Any advice appreciated.

I've seen it online in kit form for $79.
    "I see", said the blind man, so he picked up his hammer and saw.
  • wannabee
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • USA,FL

I have never heard of this one before...I have the hf one I got for 29.95 with coupon from magazine and I like it so far...gets a little hot if I use for awhile but ok for the price...what I liked about the tool you show is the price for what you get...and the speed of it Starts where the HF ends...hf is only 11,ooo and doesnt adjust while the above starts at 12,000 to 22,000...I just wonder how much faster that would cut also a lot more accessories...

Comment

• FL Buckeye
      Established Member
      • Aug 2005
      • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
      • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

That's a good find. They also have a good selection of blades for it. I also have the HF version and am satisfied with it so far.
      Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• b75025
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2003
        • McKinney, TX
        • Ryobi BT3100

Crazy for a new tool

Originally posted by FL Buckeye
        That's a good find. They also have a good selection of blades for it. I also have the HF version and am satisfied with it so far.
        I bought the HF one for $35 and used it today to cut holes for electrical boxes in drywall and to cut some wood. Never us a knife or holesaw for drywall again! I got the grout blade $5.99 as well, and have yet to try it.

Still thinking the Hardin is a great buy, and I'll be watching for a sale on the kit with the Master Accy Kit included. It's $149 at Specialty Diamond but $139.95 at Bargain Blade.

I want it!
        "I see", said the blind man, so he picked up his hammer and saw.

Comment

• MilDoc

I don't know anything about the Hardin but it's blades are Fein compatible. Given the number of attachments for $80, this seems like a good buy.

Comment

• cyberodie
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2004
            • Colorado

You might want to check out this discussion. You need to read the whole discussion as they start talking about the Secco and then move to the Hardin.

-kevin
            Kevin

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

I was at HF the other day and bought their blades for my Fein tool. They fit and work well at about a quarter of the cost. Fein might be the better tool but the blades are way too high.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• MilDoc

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the Hardin. Hope I don't regret it, but it is not something I'll use a lot. After I get it I'll put it through some paces and post more. (Actually, I told LOML about it and it will be a Christmas gift)

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • SoCal, USA
                  • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

Did you read this before you bought the tool?
                  "Posted by: LocalHero at November 17, 2009 7:46 PM I think for the money the harbor frieght works great try it for a while and see how much use you are going to get out of it. I just bought a fein 250Q top on ebay for $327.00. I use the tool enough to justify the better tool and because I do like the best but the harbor frieght has been great and the Hardin/secco works fine too, but I really hate to say this but I do like the Harbor frieght better then the Secco altough the secco is variable. I used the same blade on both tools and I felt the the HF was a smoother cutting tool. If you dont want to buy a fein just stick to the HF at that price you can buy 10 for the price of 1 Fein and the blades are inexpensive. larry"

I think the hf ,which for $30 ,works just fine. FYI, wanabee is not correct on speed. From hf web. spec. "This multi-use tool delivers 19,000 oscillations per minute"

Personally I would not buy the Hardin as I question the quality, and when they say things like " 250 watt industrial motor", but the housing is all plastic, and a 2A motor is not really impressive for me . Any true heavy duty gearbox would be metal, even the HF one has a metal front, actually looks more like the Dremel in build. I did also buy a Bosch ps50 kit for $99, recon. to use on ladders, and smaller jobs and since I have several of the smaller Bosch tools already, 6 batteries and 3 chargers should keep it running.

Hope it works out for you. Let us know.
                  Andrew

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

MilDoc - I PM'd you, but I'd love to hear your impressions of the AZ318 and it would be helpful to tell everyone.

Anyone else have this tool?
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Versa Tool
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Apr 2009

Hardin AZ318

MilDoc, sorry you are getting slammed for buying our tool. Give Mario a call, 866-425-4693, we'll hook you up with a free MBMASTER 15pc acc kit for you "leap of faith". I hope your experience with the tool is a positive one. Let him know which site you bought the tool on so we can be sure its you, and look you up in our system. Thanks for the support!

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Pittsburgh, PA
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Versa Tool
                        MilDoc, sorry you are getting slammed for buying our tool.
                        Hi Versa Tool,

Welcome to BT3central. We don't "slam" each other around here; we try to help each other out by providing useful information in a friendly manner.

Originally posted by Versa Tool
                        Give Mario a call, 866-425-4693, we'll hook you up with a free MBMASTER 15pc acc kit for you "leap of faith"....
                        Good to see you trying to make sure that MilDoc is treated well.

Thanks,

Joe

P. S - I'm not "slamming" you, I'm trying to try to help you out by providing useful information in a friendly manner....

Comment

• dkerfoot
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Holland, Michigan
                          • Craftsman 21829

Hardin Multi-Tool

I bought one of these a couple months ago. The draws for me over the HF was the promise of somewhat better quality, not having to drive 45 minutes to the store and most of all the reasonably priced and well reviewed blades and accessories. I also liked the idea of variable speed and built-in dust port.

I haven't used it a ton, but I have done some light cutting and detail sanding. My original intent was to use it for removing deteriorated mortar from between blocks in my basement (while keeping dust to a minimum since that is where my office is). Initial tests have not been impressive for that use, but that isn't a knock on the Hardin. I do not believe that a Fein would fare any better in that particular use.

I am reasonably impressed with the general build quality. I believe the tool will hold up to drops and rough use. The plastic body seems of a quality to absorb impacts and not shatter.

The biggest disappointment is how loud it is. I haven't used a Fein/Rockwell/Dremel/HF but I can't believe they could be this loud, without comments to that effect on every review. Forget about using this for more than a few seconds without hearing protection.

The only other knock is that it does vibrate a fair bit. Not enough so as to prevent accurate cuts, but enough to grow very wearisome if you were using it for long periods of time.

It does have an integral dust port for connecting a shop vac. Dust collection is not perfect, but it does help. I'd say on average 75-80% of the dust is collected.

The bottom line is that the tool works fine for what it is. I don't anticipate using it for hours on end, so the concerns I have are not deal breakers. Some people rave about how many uses these things have. I dunno, now that I have one I don't see myself reaching for it all that often. I will never use it so much that I will regret not buying a Fein.

So, not exactly a glowing review, but I don't have any regrets either.

Doug Kerfoot
                          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                          KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...