Clear All
  • tjr
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • at the falls of the Ohio
    • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

$5 20" box fans at Walgreens

Not strictly a shop item, but...

Our Walgreens has all fans 50% off this Fri-Sun, plus their Lakewood and Lasko 20" box fans originally priced at $19.99 have a $5 rebate on up to 3 fans per address. So, you can pick up a halfways decent fan for $5. I've got a few similar rummage/dumpster ones that I use to dry carpet after shampooing, ventilate after indoor painting, etc. Be glad to toss the worst of 'em.

Don't know if all Walgreens are doing this, as cool as it's been here there hasn't been a great demand for fans so they had quite a few to get rid of.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Might have to check this out, those box fans are handy.

I use up at least one a year in the water cooler I built for my dogs. It's just a 20" fan blowing air across two of the blue air conditioner pads that has water flowing through them into a galvanized tub. The water is recirculated with a filtered aquarium powerhead hosed up to a pvc spray bar. It'll keep their water nice & cool all summer long. It was keeping it a little above 70 when the ambient temp was 97.
    Erik

Comment

• rja
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Those box fans can serve as a poor mans' air filtration system. Tape a 20" x 20" coarse filter over the inlet side of the fan and a fine filter over the outlet side. Turn the fan on. This will catch a lot of dust floating in the air.

Comment

• wannabee
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007
        • USA,FL

can you tell me how you come up with the 5.00 cost per fan....my head must be in the fog today...thank you

Comment

• chrisk
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2008
          • Mankato, MN
          • Craftsman Professional 21829

Originally posted by wannabee
          can you tell me how you come up with the 5.00 cost per fan....my head must be in the fog today...thank you
          $20 fan @ 50% off = $10

$10 - $5 MIR = $5

Comment

• wannabee
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • USA,FL

LOL....I better not use any power tools today either.........

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Confirmed $5 after rebate at our local Walgreens. Great price for a box fan. Our Walgreens is brand new - opened in May. I was surprised that they had the same price. It was listed as 14.99 on the shelf, I took it to the front to check price and it rang up as 9.99. I asked about the rebate and the lady told me it normally gives an instant rebate. Still a good price and I needed one more so I went ahead with the sale, lo and behold a 5.00 rebate coupon spits out along with the receipt.
              - Chris.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                • May 2003
                • Orlando, FL, USA.
                • BT3000

TJR -

Thanks for the info. I bought one last night ... $19.99, minus half, plus $5 rebate = $5 net cost.

- Lonnie
                OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• tsbrewers
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by docrowan
                  Confirmed $5 after rebate at our local Walgreens. Great price for a box fan. Our Walgreens is brand new - opened in May. I was surprised that they had the same price. It was listed as 14.99 on the shelf, I took it to the front to check price and it rang up as 9.99. I asked about the rebate and the lady told me it normally gives an instant rebate. Still a good price and I needed one more so I went ahead with the sale, lo and behold a 5.00 rebate coupon spits out along with the receipt.
                  if the shelf showed $14.99, shouldn't it have rung up at $7.50?

Brew

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

The sticker on the shelf didn't say anything about 50% off. I was kind of surprised that I was able to get it for anything off considering this was a brand new store. When the $5.00 coupon spit out I was very pleasantly surprised.

By the way, the coupon said the rebate had to be postmarked by September 12.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

How long is the sale going for? I was there yesterday, and they all showed $20. Nothing about 50% off.

Comment

• tjr
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • at the falls of the Ohio
                        • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

At the Middletown, KY store, the 50% off sale was supposed to run from Fri 8/7-Sun 8/9. Being as they have had most of the other summer items like water toys, picnic and bbq supplies, etc. permanently marked down 50%, I would guess fans will be 50% off again soon if not 75% in which case some lucky guy or gal will wander off with a free fan or 3.

Comment

• docrowan
                          • Mar 2007
                          • New Albany, MS
                          • BT3100

BigguyZ,

I had to take my fan to the register to get them to price scan it. Sometimes they don't get around to changing the tags on the merchandise as quickly as it is changed in the computer.
                          - Chris.

Comment

Working...