This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodmac

3 1/4 HP Freud Router, $88 shipped!

Occasional really good deals at HeavyDutyTools; this seems to be one of those. http://www.heavydutytools.net/Script...?idProduct=625
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

This deals dead. I think it may have been a scam just to get you to look at their site. No really great deals though I sent them an e-mail for them to let me know when the Freud router was back in stock at that price. Wonder if I,ll get a reply

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by tommyt654
      This deals dead. I think it may have been a scam just to get you to look at their site. No really great deals though I sent them an e-mail for them to let me know when the Freud router was back in stock at that price. Wonder if I,ll get a reply
      Didn't seem dead to me (at least the price and availability showed up just now, and I put it in my cart) although I did not complete the order, since I already got about 5 routers too many...

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
        This deals dead.
        Doesn't seem to be dead at all - I just ordered one.

Maybe you need to use an original link from the newsletter - that's what I did.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

They're a good outfit who tries to offer occasional great deals, which normally are limited in quantity by the very nature of a "special purchase". Sorry you missed it, but I wish you'd use a softer term than "scam". Scam smacks of intentional fraud, deception, and rip-off... I really doubt that's the case here.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• thrytis
            • May 2004
            • Concord, NC, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

I've ordered deals from them before and have had no trouble. This one actually lasted a lot longer than typical (i received the email at around 7:30 ET), some which last only minutes. I think typically they get a great deal from the manufacturer and pass it along as a special, which only lasts until the stock runs out. The guy who runs the deals posts occasionally on woodnet.
            Eric

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Thats where I saw it first on WoodNet at 11a.m. this morning. Placed a call using their 800 no. and was told out of stock. So I doubt if anyone here got one. The order may have been placed but it will be cancelled due to no stock. I always like to speak to someone to verify they actually have an item on hand rather than be disappointed later after finding out the deal was dead.

Comment

• gjat
                • Nov 2005
                • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                • BT3100

I consider these short term deals as a marketing scam to get people to visit their site. They send out 1,000 e-mails for the deal which gets posted on a number of forums generating a few thousand hits to their site. Since they say it's a limited deal, they only have to sell 1 or 2 before stating it's out of stock. Fraud would be if they did not sell or ship any at the price. I don't think they're fradulent, just a bit sleazy with their marketing.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by gjat
                  I consider these short term deals as a marketing scam to get people to visit their site. They send out 1,000 e-mails for the deal which gets posted on a number of forums generating a few thousand hits to their site. Since they say it's a limited deal, they only have to sell 1 or 2 before stating it's out of stock. Fraud would be if they did not sell or ship any at the price. I don't think they're fradulent, just a bit sleazy with their marketing.
                  They had 72 available which is a pretty reasonable number. He even solicited opinions of the deal before hand. My understanding is that the router deal lasted close to 8 hours before supplies were depleted. I'm glad that they offer these deals to us....I view it as a favor and I'm grateful. It's a great savings if you act early enough. Holbren offers similar deals, and most of us seem to love the opportunity.

There's no intent to deceive, victimize, or defraud here, and the term "Scam" is incredibly negative...not to mention inaccurate for this particular deal. I'd be upset if I were a retailer, went to some trouble to obtain a limited supply of one particular item at half price for my customers, then got called a scammer by someone who didn't get one. I suppose my reaction would be not to bother in the future...they can't possibly be making much on the deal items. Would you be pleased if you were one of the 72 folks who got in on the deal?
                  Last edited by Knottscott; 08-05-2009, 05:46 PM.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    Didn't seem dead to me (at least the price and availability showed up just now, and I put it in my cart) although I did not complete the order, since I already got about 5 routers too many...
                    I'll be happy to help you store some of those routers at my place…

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...