• Show
Clear All
  • RyFitz13
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Terryville, CT, USA.
    • BT3100

BORG cabinet-grade birch ply @ $30 a sheet

I went into my local BORG over the weekend, and found they had cabinet grade birch ply on sale for about $30 a sheet. I was told the sale will last "until it's all gone." I don't think I'd try using this stuff for kitchen cabinets, but it certainly looks to do the job for shop cabinets and fixtures.

So, of course, I had to increase the scope of my upcoming workshop upgrade...
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Originally posted by RyFitz13
    I went into my local BORG over the weekend, and found they had cabinet grade birch ply on sale for about $30 a sheet. I was told the sale will last "until it's all gone." I don't think I'd try using this stuff for kitchen cabinets, but it certainly looks to do the job for shop cabinets and fixtures.
    Where is it made?

If it says China, then you will have delamination issues, and voids.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

How many layers was it?

Comment

• rcp612
        Established Member
        • May 2005
        • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
        • Bosch 4100-09

If its the same stuff my local BORG had on clearance,,,, I tried.
        Not even good enough for shop cabinets,,,,,,,,plus it stinks,,,, literally. The smell while cutting is terrible!
        Might not be the same but, be very, very cautious.
        Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Woodwerker
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005

Interesting...

My local HD had a deal on this ply last year, $20 a sheet. I picked up 8 sheets and it served me well. Since then it has been $39. Last week I breezed by and it was $18!
          The next day (Monday) I went back and it was up to $29...
          Prices are all over the place!
          I did buy a few sheets and it is not that bad. Hard to stain but ok quality, no void issues IMHO...
          They also had Full Maple Ply, first time I saw that at HD it was $68 a sheet 4'x8'
          Every tool you own is broken, you just don't know it yet :-)

Comment

• johnbon
            Handtools only
            • Feb 2008

I have bought oak plywood at the BORG and always check out what they have when I am in there. Some days are better than others. I live in the northern western Philadelphia suburbs. Where else can I purchase oak plywood.

Comment

• RyFitz13
              Established Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Terryville, CT, USA.
              • BT3100

OK - I checked the stuff in my basement last night. It's 11-ply, and I can't spot a "Made in..." stamp anywhere on it. There's some red ink towards the end of one edge, but I can't for the life of me make anything out of it.

Comment

• JeffG78
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                • BT3100

I bought similar stuff from my HD about a year ago and I was able to use it, but it warped badly as soon as I got it home. I didn't have much of a problem with voids, however. I think I'd skip it in the future and go to a lumber yard.

Comment

• hermit
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Somerset, PA, USA.

I got so sick of the china made borg plywood (which is what I bought to make shop cabinets), that I swore I'd never buy it again. I just started making kitchen cabs this week, and went to the local lumberyard to get birch plywood for carcasses. It cost me $62 a sheet, but boy howdy what a joy to work with. first off it was 48.5" by 96.5" which gives that extra 1/2" so you can actually get 12" divisions in cutting. Plus .......... it was flat!! No bowing. I say save your money and check your lumberyard for the good stuff.

Todd

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

If that is the same stuff sold here in western Washington, the face ply was as thin as an O.J. Simpson alibi.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Geeze, I have been away for a while. Stinky, expensive, chinese plywood. Never heard of it. I also have not been in a Lowes or HD in a long time either.
                      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

I was in several Borgs yesterday. They have an OK looking cabinet ply priced in the mid-30s per sheet that uses a face I've never heard of.

However I went to Aura Hardwoods, which sells mostly to the cabinet shop trade, and splurged on 1/2 BB ply for a new crosscut sled. $36.36 out the door for a 5x5 sheet. More than I like spending but it looks nice and it's flat. I got a very friendly greeting at the door, great help at the cashier's desk, and someone insisted on helping me load. It's 20 miles away but I'm going back there just for the great service!

Aura also has finished and unfinished 1/2 BB ply in what appear to be 12"x48" panels for drawer boxes. I didn't price them but an interesting idea.

Comment

Working...