How stupid do they think we are?

A not too close too examination reveals that this is no better than 25% off

Seattle Store News
    3823 Stone Way North
    (206) 634-3222
    Dear customer,
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Good thing they listed what is not included.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

They think we are very stupid... My biggest problem with Rockler is their marketing philosophy.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        They think we are very stupid... My biggest problem with Rockler is their marketing philosophy.
        +1 Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• wassaw998
          • Jul 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I have found that when it gets down to it, most of their coupons are not even usable for me due to the exclusions. Past few times I have been in with a "% off" coupon to pull out at the counter I find its not applicable. For example the caluse "excludes sales items"...
          Chris

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by wassaw998
            I have found that when it gets down to it, most of their coupons are not even usable for me due to the exclusions. Past few times I have been in with a "% off" coupon to pull out at the counter I find its not applicable. For example the caluse "excludes sales items"...
            "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away"

-Tom Waits

Comment

• kevincan
              Established Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Central Illinois
              • Craftsman 21829

It seems that Rockler always has a promotion going on. It seems as soon as one offer is ending they are sending me a new one. They always seem to have a free shipping promo going.

I am sure that like everyone else their business has slowed down. They are working to stay in front of their customer so the orders keep coming in.

Kevin

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by kevincan
                They are working to stay in front of their customer so the orders keep coming in.
                I think they'd see more orders coming in if they would quit excluding half their inventory and/or half their customer base with every promotion...

Comment

• shoottx
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2008
                  • Plano, Texas
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  I think they'd see more orders coming in if they would quit excluding half their inventory and/or half their customer base with every promotion...
                  Even though the GATORs won you (Florida) are not half the customer base!
                  Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I'm waiting for the "FREE TOOL: Buy one tool at 200%, get another tool or equal or lesser value FREE" deal before I make my big Rockler purchases.
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Uncle Hook
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

I suggest giving Rockler a break. They are just a business trying to make an honest buck. I am glad they exist to serve the needs of the woodworking community. They aren't going to exist if they sell everything at no profit.

I like the selection of the products they offer, and I find their customer service to be very good. They no longer use peanuts to pack their shipments.

I have taken advantage of Rocker's numerous free shipping offers and good discounts on some of their higher margin items.

A good marketing company will try new promotions and measure the results to see what works / does not work. Rocker uses offer codes as a way to track the results of their promotions. If customer's don't respond to a particular promotion they will likely abandon it in favor of some other promotion that causes customers to buy.

Comment

• jimglassford
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2008

Lets really show Rocklers

Wow, only 25% off of some items. To show them how upset we are, we shoud all demand to pay full price for everything instead of only getting 25% off. Maybe that will make those marketing people that we do not want any discounts.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

c'mon, guys. This seems more like poking fun to me than an objection to the discounts. I've ordered from Rockler a number of times and usually (but not always) I've been very happy with them. (One recent exception was when they canceled my clamp order on an OOS item and fulfilled orders that came in after mine. )

When companies experiment with promotions, there's a risk that they get a little too creative, and this ad is heading in that direction. There's always a balance in crafting a good promotion to make it both easy to understand/market and good for the business. I saw an extreme example recently for a freebie that came with a TV purchase -- something like...
                          Free gas for a year! (Submit no more than two gas receipts for not more than $25 each postmarked by the end of the first week of every month to receive a gas debit card for the amount submitted, which is good at participating service stations for one month from the date received.)
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• cwithboat
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                            • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by Uncle Hook
                            I suggest giving Rockler a break.
                            I do give them a break. I spend a lot of money with them. I therefore have a right to complain when they send me a misleading email ad.
                            regards,
                            Charlie
                            A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                            Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Black wallnut
                              cycling to health
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                              • BT3k 1999

I actually find that add crystal clear. If you are a regular walk in customer...... and you are going there to buy two items anyway.......... you pick out two items that are not on sale.......... first one rings up at full retail... second one rings up at full retail but then there is another line on the receipt that credits you 50% for the second item. The grocery business has been doing the same thing for years. Yup you did the math and found out that your net savings is only 25%. Your individual item savings is 50% on the second item. Pretty darn clar to me.
                              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...