Located Herc-U-Lift- Need Help Fitting to BT3100

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ScottJ
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2003
    • 65
    • SoCal, USA.

    #1

    Located Herc-U-Lift- Need Help Fitting to BT3100

    I was able to score a couple of Herc-U-Lift Pluses at my local BORG. Lessons learned:
    • Check overhead storage above the tool department (and nearby areas) for the SKU number (352-522)
    • Sometimes the lifts are packed in a plain brown cardboard 2-pack (two lifts per box), so they may not be in a familiar-looking Ridgid retail box
    • Even if the store reports no inventory, check it out anyway - one of the local BORGs that I checked said they didn't have any in their computer inventory, but I located four on the shelves!

    I am trying to fit the lifts to my BT3100 leg set and to a Wolfcraft 6132 power tool stand. A few months ago, when these things first went on clearance, a few people discussed putting the lift on a BT3100. A couple of folks suggested starting out using the 28" X 28" dimension in the Herc-U-Lift configuration chart, and that's where I'm going to start. Does anyone out there have the final dimensions for the front, rear, and U-bolt support assemblies; the extension positions; and the U-bolt adjustment position? If anyone has any photos, I'd really appreciate it having a chance to look at them.

    Also, if anyone has any info about fitting the lift to the Wolfcraft stand, I'd appreciate the help!

    Thanks in advance!

    ...Scott
  • Claire
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2004
    • 7
    • NY.

    #2
    "I am trying to fit the lifts to my BT3100 leg set and to a Wolfcraft 6132 power tool stand. A few months ago, when these things first went on clearance, a few people discussed putting the lift on a BT3100. A couple of folks suggested starting out using the 28" X 28" dimension in the Herc-U-Lift configuration chart, and that's where I'm going to start. Does anyone out there have the final dimensions for the front, rear, and U-bolt support assemblies; the extension positions; and the U-bolt adjustment position? If anyone has any photos, I'd really appreciate it having a chance to look at them.

    Also, if anyone has any info about fitting the lift to the Wolfcraft stand, I'd appreciate the help!"

    Scott here are some pictures of the Herc-U-Lift attached to my Wolcraft stand.

    http://www.woodworkersweb.com/module...umName=albuz46
    WoodworkersWeb :: WoodworkerWeb User Image Gallery

    As you can see, I had to drill the legs and use the brackets provided. The hole locations are in the directions. I also added my own springs for addtional lift on the up position of the lift.

    Hope this helps!



    Claire
    It\'s a great day for Hockey!

    Comment

    • ScottJ
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2003
      • 65
      • SoCal, USA.

      #3
      quote:Originally posted by Claire
      Hope this helps!

      Claire
      Claire...

      Thanks a million! Those photos were [u]exactly</u> what I was looking for. Also, it's nice to see your double-spring set-up. This is going to save me a bunch of time!

      ...Scott

      Comment

      • gary
        Senior Member
        • May 2004
        • 893
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

        #4
        I have one mounted on my BT3100. I remember I had to change the dimensions where it was mounted on the legs. I'll measure it and shoot you a picture of it on the BT tomorrow.
        Gary

        Comment

        • RagerXS
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2003
          • 501
          • Brookline, NH, USA.

          #5
          The SKU 352-522 now is some mirror thingy: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...gnl.0&MID=9876

          Comment

          • newood2
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2004
            • 600
            • Brooklyn, NY.
            • BT3100-1

            #6
            I just assembled one for the BT3100 and it works great. Use the 28 x28a configuration and follow the instructions carefully, its time consuming, took me 2 evenings. Assemble the parts loosely enough to adjust by hand. The final alignment and tightening-up is done under the stand. Go ahead and mount the leg brackets per instruction on page 11. If you are using the leveling foot the center line of the hole(3 1/8” from bottom) will cross right about the top of existing leg holes. When alignment is finished tighten-up all the bolts EXCEPT the leg brackets. On those, thread the nut until the bolt protrude about 1/16”.
            I hope this helps.
            Hey Claire, where in NY are you? Nice Pics. I’m in Brooklyn.

            Howie.

            Comment

            • ScottJ
              Forum Newbie
              • Sep 2003
              • 65
              • SoCal, USA.

              #7
              quote:Originally posted by RagerXS

              The SKU 352-522 now is some mirror thingy
              The link didn't work for me, but I looked up the SKU from their web site and brought up "MIRR.EDGE" acrylic mirror strips. However, that shouldn't pose a problem for folks who want to look for Herc-U-Lifts at their local BORGs. The Herc-U-Lift boxes weigh about 25 pounds and are about 9.5" X 7" X 23.5" long. (If packed in the plain 2-packs they'll be 9.5" X 14" X 24".) On my searches, the SKU number has been plainly marked on the end of the box.

              By the by, when I recently bought my 2-pack of lifts, the cashier looked up the price by the SKU number (since the UPC Code was not on the outside of the box, but on the individual boxes inside.) He didn't have any problems retrieving the correct price. (Yes - I made sure he knew that there were two items inside the box...)

              Thanks to all who've posted, by the by. If anyone has any photos of the BT3100 setup, I'd like to look at them. One of the questions that I have is whether with the 28" X 28" setup, the lift is mounted with the pedal to the front (my preference) or to the side. The other question that I have is whether the bottom stand stiffener (the cross-member) can be relocated a bit higher out of the way of the lift pedal.

              ...Scott

              Comment

              • RickT
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003
                • 175
                • .

                #8
                Hi Scott,
                I mounted a Herc-U-Lift to my BT3100, and it works great. I took pictures this morning and have tried to upload them for you to see, but I've been unsuccessful. I've selected to upload the file, browsed to the pictures, selected the first one to upload, clicked upload, waited, and receive message "page cannot be displayed." Maybe the .jpg files are too large. I've also tried to reduce the size, but I don't have any decent software to do that. Anyway, 28x28 works great. I clamped the brackets inside the legs fo the BT stand and drilled the necessary holes (2 per bracket) about 3 1/4 inches from the bottom of the leg (not including the adustable foot). Removing the saw from the stand will make attaching the Herc-U-Lift a lot easier. I also removed the front cross brace from the BT stand so I could have easy access the the lock and release pedals. Additionally, I used the spring that came with the Herc-U-LIft and attached it to the cross bar behind the pedal and up to a bracket I mounted to the underside of the back of my BT stand. It pulls the Herc-U-Lift up when you unlock it. Without it, the weight of the BT might not be enough and the casters of the Herc-U-Lift might actually slightly lift the saw, even when not engaged. The instructions that came with the Herc-U-Lift recommend using the supplied spring for lighter saws.

                Anyway, I wish I could post the pictures for you. Maybe I'll figured out how shortly.

                Thanks,
                Rick

                Comment

                • Bollox
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • 113
                  • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

                  #9
                  If anyone in the Indianapolis area is looking for some of these, the HD on the West side of Indy had 3 on the shelf this morning for $22 apiece. (Actually they had 4 until I got there!).
                  Mike

                  EDIT:
                  Oops, sorry guys, I'm a dumbass.
                  The herculift I got (and I assume the others left on the shelf) are quite a lot too small for a BT base. The box is marked as fitting most Rigid saws and some Craftsman saws (I should quote the part no. here, but dont have it handy).
                  I want to put mine under my BT 3100 stand (which now has a planer sitting on top of it) and I should be able to make it work, but I'll have to make some new rails for the lift (spread its legs, so to speak). If it works out, I'll post how I did it in case anyone else wants to try. For $22 I really dont mind spending a few hours screwing around with it.

                  Comment

                  • BobSch
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4385
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    quote:Originally posted by RickT

                    Hi Scott,
                    I took pictures this morning and have tried to upload them for you to see, but I've been unsuccessful. I've selected to upload the file, browsed to the pictures, selected the first one to upload, clicked upload, waited, and receive message "page cannot be displayed." Maybe the .jpg files are too large. I've also tried to reduce the size, but I don't have any decent software to do that.
                    Rick,

                    Try here http://irfanview.com/ Free image software that's as good as a lot of $$ stuff.
                    Bob

                    Bad decisions make good stories.

                    Comment

                    • RickT
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • 175
                      • .

                      #11
                      Hi Scott,
                      I was able to upload the pictures of the Herc-U-Lift on my BT3100. Hope they help.
                      Rick















                      Comment

                      • ScottJ
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Sep 2003
                        • 65
                        • SoCal, USA.

                        #12
                        quote:Originally posted by RickT

                        Hi Scott,
                        I was able to upload the pictures of the Herc-U-Lift on my BT3100. Hope they help.
                        Rick
                        Rick...

                        Thanks for the pictures! Yes - they [u]certainly</u> help! I especially like how you've mounted the short chain to the top rail of the stand. After fiddling with the lift a bit on my own and taking a look at your work, I think that I'm going to try to shorten the upper assembly a bit to tuck the foot pedal a bit farther under the stand.

                        ...Scott

                        Comment

                        • RickT
                          Established Member
                          • Jun 2003
                          • 175
                          • .

                          #13
                          Hi Scott,
                          Sorry the pictures are so big. I didn't know they would end up that large. I had to experiment with spring tension to get it just right. The 2-link chain ended up making the spring the right length and tension so it would counteract the weight of the Herc-U-Lift itself and pull the casters off the ground enough so the BT would stand firmly on its own feet. Without the spring, the BT had a tendency to roll away because the weight of the Herc-U-Lift actually lifted the BT a bit. I'm one of those type-A perfectionists, and I really like the way it turned out. It works beautifully, and I think it actually looks pretty good too. [:I]
                          Thanks again, and let me know how it goes.
                          Rick

                          Comment

                          • The Raddish

                            #14
                            RickT, how long did it take you to mount the lift kit to your BT??

                            Comment

                            • Tom.Trout
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 107
                              • lower 48, USA.

                              #15
                              I just installed Delta Universal Mobile Lift. Here is picture of it...





                              I will be making more posts on this mobile base in the BT3100 FORUM here at BT3Central.
                              This is my signature line... aka; Hitachi Bandsaw Owner

                              Comment

                              Working...